PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading Ubuntu

Tumpster
September 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hello everyone, I'm the type of user in which I like to wipe and install a fresh os every 6 months or so in a "spring cleaning" sense on my computer. I'm feeling like with the new debut of 9.10 in just over a month of upgrading to that. What are some opinions on the subject of this? I currently run 8.04 which is over a year old but has done me well up to this point. Just wanted to see the benefits of moving up to the latest edition or just reloading Hardy Heron again. Any opinions/ideas are greatly welcome! Thanks! :D

Bucky Ball
September 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
If you want stability, stick with what you have. The latest is not always the greatest (unlike the mentality pumped at us from MS). If you want an unstable system, go ahead and install 9.10. I would wait six months after the release myself but then I need my machines to be reliable.

I recently read a comment from one user that they didn't think 9.04 is ready yet and that was released five months ago!

9.10 is currently 'testing' and that alone should tell you something. But developers and community can always do with more testers lodging crash reports. :)

8.04 LTS is the current long-term support release. 10.04 is the next (April next year).

"... has done me well up to this point ..."

If it ain't broke don't fix it, perhaps? 9.10 will be the latest regular release when it comes out in October; 8.04 is the current LTS release. There is a difference.

Tumpster
September 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM
If you want stability, stick with what you have. The latest is not always the greatest (unlike the mentality pumped at us from MS). If you want an unstable system, go ahead and install 9.10. I would wait six months after the release myself but then I need my machines to be reliable.

I recently read a comment from one user that they didn't think 9.04 is ready yet and that was released five months ago!

9.10 is currently 'testing' and that alone should tell you something. But developers and community can always do with more testers lodging crash reports. :)

8.04 LTS is the current long-term support release. 10.04 is the next (April next year).

"... has done me well up to this point ..."

If it ain't broke don't fix it, perhaps? 9.10 will be the latest regular release when it comes out in October; 8.04 is the current LTS release. There is a difference.

You raise good points. Maybe I'll hold off and reload everything and upgrade to the new LTS come 2010. Strong work! :)

Bucky Ball
September 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have some holidays coming up and will probably clear a partition for a 'testing' release myself, which means I still have my rock solid 8.04 for when I want to do my regular computing. This is the regular way; a spare partition or old computer for testing which it doesn't matter if you break and practice fixing things. (Being Australian I just have to test Karmic Koala!).