PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screens found, but none have a usable configuration

rstoya05-lx
September 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I am unable to install the Ubuntu sanctioned NVidia binary driver. When I restart Ubuntu shows a screen titled "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode" with the following detail:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for
(EE) NVIDIA(0): additional information
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

I understand this a binary driver that is not supported but perhaps you can give me some clues as to how to interpret what's going on or how to debug.

hal10000
September 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Where did you get the driver from?
I recomment installing not the one from the nvidia download-page, but from the ubuntu repositories.
You should just call your hardware driver-manager (under kde it's called jockey-kde and i guess in gnome it's jockey-gtk) and follow the instructions.

rstoya05-lx
September 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Yes I've installed one that is sanctioned by Ubuntu. I did not see by the way anything under System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers (same as jockey-gtk I believe) so I did the following instead:

1) Applications -> Add/Remove... -> System Tools.
2) Install "NVIDIA X Server Settings" and "NVidia binary X.Org driver ('version 173' driver)".
3) Run 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' to modify xorg.conf to use the binary driver.
4) sudo reboot

At first I saw the message "no device found". Eventually I figured that's because this laptop has 2 graphics cards (one is on-board I think and the other is GeoForce 9300M GS). I ran 'lspci | grep VGA' to figure out the bus id GeoForce uses and then added the this to the device section of xorg.conf:

BusId "PCI:1:0:0"

I have purposely stayed away from downloading from the nvidia web site. I know that doing so requires more work when upgrading to the next version of Ubuntu, etc.

Any other suggestions?

hal10000
September 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Are you running an older ubuntu-version, like intrepid (8.10) or so, which doesn't have jockey, i think? If so, you have to install the pckages manually:
In the ubuntu-repos there are some packages related to nvidias graphic drivers: linux-restricted-modules, nvidia-common, nvidia-glx-173, nvidia-kernel-common and (optional) nvidia-settings. Make sure they are all installed.

rstoya05-lx
September 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Are you running an older ubuntu-version, like intrepid (8.10) or so, which doesn't have jockey, i think?

Ubuntu 9.04

If so, you have to install the pckages manually:
In the ubuntu-repos there are some packages related to nvidias graphic drivers: linux-restricted-modules, nvidia-common, nvidia-glx-173, nvidia-kernel-common and (optional) nvidia-settings. Make sure they are all installed.

I was missing a couple of the packages so I added them manually. Then I was able to run jockey-gtk and activate version 180 of the binary driver. After rebooting I got the same message from the original post above.

Thanks for your help. What next?