PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems getting Ubuntu 9.04 CD to boot

betacorpo
September 6th, 2009, 02:34 AM
hi everyone,

i've installed Ubuntu on machines a couple of times before and my skills can get me through a set of instructions, but I don't know enough to figure out problems yet.

i'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a Toshiba Satellite A65 Laptop. I downloaded the installation CD using a desktop running Windows, followed all the instructions, burned it as a disk image, check the hashes, etc.

If I load the CD into the computer that I downloaded it from, it reads the CD, launches the installation program and all that. But when I load the CD onto the laptop it doesn't read it at all - doesn't boot from the CD, and it doesn't show any information on the disk. (I checked the CD drive and it works with other disks)

is there anything that this laptop is missing to run the CD? thanks a lot

presence1960
September 6th, 2009, 02:45 AM
sounds like it may be the optical drive on your laptop. Maybe you should try creating a bootable USB and try booting from that. Use unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to create the bootable USB.

ronparent
September 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I have run into problems trying to indtasll to a computer other than the one a cd was written on. Have even bought new drives thinking the old drive was defective. This does seem to be a problem with ubuntu in particular. None of the drives I replaced ever troubled me with windows? That said, if your optical drive also reads dvd, you could try burning an install iso to a dvd. That has worked for me when a drive would not read a valid cd!

betacorpo
September 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
the unetbootin program was simple enough to do the trick. thanks for the tip!

presence1960
September 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
the unetbootin program was simple enough to do the trick. thanks for the tip!

Glad you got it working! Enjoy Ubuntu.