PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installing on Dell Dimension 8100 with USB?

lightyagami
September 6th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I have an old Dimension 8100 in my basement, but I can't use the CD drive since its broken, so I need to use the USB. Furthermore, I'm assuming that it is only a USB 1.0/1.1, so how will that work? Could I still use an old USB stick?

On that note, I'm thinking of either Xubuntu or Knoppix...could you recommend one over the other...or possibly something else?

Is it possible for me to install a distribution using only the USB port on the computer, and how can I?

SPECS:

1.7 gigahertz Pentium 4
512 mb RAM
.... probably easier to just google the name and get the documentation on the dell site...

presence1960
September 6th, 2009, 03:12 AM
First you need to verify that your model can boot from USB. if it can't then you will not be able to install that way.

P.S. I just went to dell's site and looked at the documentation for Dimension 8100. it would appear that your machine is not capable of booting from a USB drive. But to be sure check in BIOS and see if there is a setting in boot order for a USB or removable drive. That machine is really old it came with windows 98 or windows 2000 according to the dell site