PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] now trying to install alternate text 9.04 - problems!

djdouglas
September 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM
hi happy ubuntu people! i'm working on a sony pcg-fx140 pentium iii 700mhz with 256mb ram, and two partitions, one (C) with windows me and a total of 10gb space. the other partition (D) is completely empty (except for about 48kb of unknown used space) and i would like to install ubuntu onto it. first i tried the regular version of ubuntu iso, and since i had the same problem i am still having, i downloaded and burned a verified good copy of the alternate 9.04 iso. when i choose
'install ubuntu,' it leads me almost immediately to a black screen with a blinking cursor. also, the same occurs when i tried to run ubuntu from cd. please let me know if there is anything i can do differently before i click 'install ubuntu.' btw in 'dxdiag' in windows, it shows 5.5 mb of video ram on this machine...is that enough to run ubuntu? thanks in advance. -Doug

presence1960
September 6th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Boot Options (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions) you have an old machine there. I would look at the options for F4 (safe graphics mode) & F6.

hopefully you have at least 6-8 GB to give ubuntu so you have room for apps & updates.