PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Install Linux to External HDD

Drummm
September 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I have a 250GB USB HDD Lying around for School,
I was wondering if it would be possible for me to install a Linux Distro to it, without reformatting to ext2/3/4. Fat32 Maybe ?

If it isnt possible, I will just add a Live Distro, But I Would prefer to install it like the USB HDD, was a HDD inside my computer.

stlsaint
September 6th, 2009, 01:40 AM
you can format that xthdd then create a partition for ubuntu then install it to that partition. then format the other half left over as ntfs for school work. also when installing make sure that you remove the hdd out of the system that you are using to install ubuntu to xthdd. now i suggest that you do a little more research as i have never actually done it.

presence1960
September 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I have a 250GB USB HDD Lying around for School,
I was wondering if it would be possible for me to install a Linux Distro to it, without reformatting to ext2/3/4. Fat32 Maybe ?

If it isnt possible, I will just add a Live Distro, But I Would prefer to install it like the USB HDD, was a HDD inside my computer.

FAT & NTFS are windows filesystems. Linux will not run on them. You must format the Linux partition(s) to ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs or another linux filesystem.

Drummm
September 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
How does wubi work then ? :P

Bucky Ball
September 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Installs within Windows. (w=windows; ub=ubuntu;i=installer)

AmerNewbieInDE
September 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
if your pc can boot from usb, it would be no problem to put linux on an external. i ran mine that way for awhile.

in gparted, format half the external ext3 for linux, mark it as boot, then create a extended partition maybe 4G, in the extended part create a linux-swap. Boot the pc with your linux disk and choose to install it to the external ext3 partition, on step 7, choose advanced and put grub on the external.

I set my pc to boot first from the usb in the bios. if the external is pluged in, it boots to linux, if it is not pluged in, it boots directly to windows as normal. I had not problem running it this way.