PDA

View Full Version : you know the free gift in cereal boxes? wouldnt it be cool if it was a live cd?

bodyharvester
September 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
imagine that, you open your cereal box and out pops out a free OS, Ubuntu, Puppy or any others. it happens with magazines already, would that be a good idea to give it away like this? would it help increase understanding atleast?

coldReactive
September 6th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

RabbitWho
September 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM
What a fantastic idea.. Edubutnu for everyone.. I think the manuals still leave a lot to be desired though, if you're going to give it to people who didn't go looking for it and who aren't particularly interested (as is someone who buys a computer magazine ) you're going to need a serious manual, one that includes everything from from how to move a mouse cursor and how icons work to connecting to the internet and setting up a firewall and then how to search for things using Firefox and all of it's features mean etc. etc. Let alone all the questions we read on the forums every day.

hockeytux
September 6th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Very expensive marketing even though the cash would be there in Shuttleworth's deep pockets.

What would be much easier would be Canonical striking a deal with a cereal manufacturer and having the back of the packets for Ubuntu advertising (and telling people how to get the free cd.) That way you will not have lots of CDs landing in the bin and only get those interested in the first place.

Also maybe rather than advertising Ubuntu proper they could push Edubuntu since its mostly mothers and kids who read the back of cornflakes packets...

The Real Dave
September 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Somehow, I don't think a child would enjoy a disk as much as they would a toy rocket :D

jpeddicord
September 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Somehow, I don't think a child would enjoy a disk as much as they would a toy rocket :D

Exactly. The target market for cereal box goodies doesn't match the target market for tech-savvy.

RabbitWho
September 6th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Each of us should make 10 copies of Edubutnu and go into our local supermarket and sellotape them to the boxes.

gn2
September 6th, 2009, 01:05 AM
The idea is basically a very good one, but instead of cereal, stick it in a product that adults use, for example coffee.

Or condoms.

frrobert
September 6th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Not in the box but part of the box! If you want to keep with tradition.:D

I remember when I was a kid there would be records on the backs of cereal boxes. You would cut the record off the back of the cereal box.

the only question would the laser catch the cardboard on fire:lolflag:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/98/2298/640/cereal.jpg

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2009, 01:54 AM

**ding ding** winner

orlox
September 6th, 2009, 04:08 AM
The idea is basically a very good one, but instead of cereal, stick it in a product that adults use, for example coffee.

Or condoms.

Or perhaps canonical should ship live cds with a couple of ubuntu condoms inside the box!...Oooo but wait...that would only produce millions of trash cans around the world stuffed with unused live cds...

shadylookin
September 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Because every child wants an operating system with his rice krispies

collinp
September 6th, 2009, 05:38 AM
What kind of cereal would it have to be for the gift to fit in with the theme? Ubuntu cereal? Linux cereal?

Or, l33t cereal:
http://thepmi.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/leet_cereal.jpg

It even comes with a Tux!