PDA

View Full Version : It happed fast!!!

matt79
September 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Well I have seen the forums before with the question "who still is at their parents house and lives in the basement." Well it took less then a year, now I am the only one of my sibilings (of 4) still at home. While my computer lab is out in the garage, I was just offered the basement today. ](*,)](*,)](*,)

coldReactive
September 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I live with my grandma. ;)

woedend
September 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Here in the US at least, rent pricing has really not come down with the downward spiral of our economy, so people seem to be living with their parents longer. It's one of those things that people like to make fun of other people for, but really, who cares as long as you are happy and do your part. It's even tougher to be single and pay for everything yourself these days. I could do it, but would have to give up a lot of creature comforts. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend to split the bills with.

matt79
September 6th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Well I will admit that it is much cheaper....especially since I got school bills stacking up :(

coldReactive
September 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Well I will admit that it is much cheaper....especially since I got school bills stacking up :(

A big problem I have is that I make about 720 USD a month total thanks to SSI and SSDI. I can't afford most normal apartments in my city. So I applied for subsidized apartments.

Skripka
September 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Here in the US at least, rent pricing has really not come down with the downward spiral of our economy, so people seem to be living with their parents longer. It's one of those things that people like to make fun of other people for, but really, who cares as long as you are happy and do your part. It's even tougher to be single and pay for everything yourself these days. I could do it, but would have to give up a lot of creature comforts. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend to split the bills with.

Single persons in the US get shafted by US tax code.

Moop
September 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I had a room in the basement when I was a kid. There was no PC's back then so I entertained myself with music and friends. When I turned 17 1/2 I joined the Navy to escape the home life.

Now I'm a grandpa and have a daughter and granddaughter who live with me. She will graduate in June with a mechanical engineering degree and they will move on.

The circle of life...

matt79
September 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
The circle of life...
Thats true, I will most likely do that before I know what happend.

RabbitWho
September 6th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Irish houses don't generally have basements, in all my life I've only been in one house with a basement, and that was in Wilton ,Wilton people are crazy.

shadylookin
September 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Unfortunately we don't have a basement so I have to live above ground with the normal people.

I get along with my parents so I couldn't justify spending $8,000 a year to live in a dorm the size of a cubicle with another human being. My college is a 25 minute drive, room and board is free, and my siblings are long gone so it's a pretty easy life.

Admittedly it feels pretty lame to be 21 and still with the parents, but it's nice not being in debt at a time when getting a job is almost impossible.

Bölvağur
September 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
There wasn't any basement to live in at my parents... so I dug one, honestly I did. Took 3 months with jack hammers and sledges breaking down the solid rock the house is built ontop of. Then it took 2 weeks making it waterproof, as it is pretty far down in the ground and actually goes further down than the actual outer walls of the house.. dont tell the authorities :tongue:.

matt79
September 6th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Unfortunately we don't have a basement so I have to live above ground with the normal people.

I get along with my parents so I couldn't justify spending $8,000 a year to live in a dorm the size of a cubicle with another human being. My college is a 25 minute drive, room and board is free, and my siblings are long gone so it's a pretty easy life.

Admittedly it feels pretty lame to be 21 and still with the parents, but it's nice not being in debt at a time when getting a job is almost impossible.

You and I must be clones :) I just need to get a car lol

matt79
September 6th, 2009, 02:04 AM
There wasn't any basement to live in at my parents... so I dug one, honestly I did. Took 3 months with jack hammers and sledges breaking down the solid rock the house is built ontop of. Then it took 2 weeks making it waterproof, as it is pretty far down in the ground and actually goes further down than the actual outer walls of the house.. dont tell the authorities :tongue:.
Thankfully I do not have to do that much. The basement is already built :P:P

FishEye
September 6th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I have to live above ground with the normal people.

Moles are people too. :O

drawkcab
September 6th, 2009, 02:59 AM
When I left grad school a few years ago I had to move in with my folks for a summer because I had absolutely zero cash and my job didn't pick up for another 5 months.

So I was 33 with two advanced degrees and living in my parent's basement. It was depressing for a while but I saved up a ton of money, bought a new car and got to know my parents again. Overall it was a good experience.

dragos240
September 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't mind to have the basement! It's huge!

kernelhaxor
September 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
You and I must be clones :) I just need to get a car lol

Are you a student too?
What do you mean it happened fast? what happened?

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
well i have seen the forums before with the question "who still is at their parents house and lives in the basement." well it took less then a year, now i am the only one of my sibilings (of 4) still at home. While my computer lab is out in the garage, i was just offered the basement today. ](*,)](*,)](*,)

lol!!!

pwnst*r
September 6th, 2009, 03:42 AM

what the...

gletob
September 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM
what the...

My thoughts exactly.

I can't tell if he's joking or the kind of person that would dig out a basement.

Sinkingships7
September 6th, 2009, 06:44 AM
My thoughts exactly.

I can't tell if he's joking or the kind of person that would dig out a basement.

Doesn't even seem possible. You can't just dig a basement. If someone dug a hole under your feet, you'd fall. Same principle.

Disclaimer: I don't build houses for a living.

cammin
September 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM
It's definitely possible, you just have to do it in sections, while supporting the part of the house you're digging under.

Or you could just move the whole house off the foundation, tear out the slab, dig/build a basement, then move the house back onto the new foundation.

It's a little less likely you can pull that one off covertly, though.

koenn
September 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
It's a little less likely you can pull that one off covertly, though.
Who says it had to be done covertly ? In those days, parents would probably go something like "well, if you want a basement, you dig one yourself".
Kids these days are so spoiled.

And covertly digging out a basement would still be easier than covertly raising the roof to build an extra room in the attic.

matt79
September 7th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Are you a student too?
What do you mean it happened fast? what happened?

Yes I am a student. What happened so fast was me becoming the only child living at home, and also being offered the basement. :-) However, I think I might stick to the back of the garage.:guitar: