PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB Automount fails for some users

RayDeCampo
September 5th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I have an unusual problem where USB automount succeeds for some users but fails for others. All users have all available permissions granted via the GUI tool. This is a clean 9.04 install with all updates applied. Some files for /home were copied from an old 9.04 installation (which had been upgraded incrementally from 7.10). When the good is logged in and I stick in the USB stick, it automounts and the nautilus windows pops as expected. When I try the same thing (same port and USB stick) with the bad user, the USB stick blinks a couple of times and nothing happens.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Petertje
September 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM
does this happen with same users every time or random user?

RayDeCampo
September 6th, 2009, 12:33 AM
does this happen with same users every time or random user?

Same users every time. Good user can consistently automount USB drives, bad user consistently cannot.

RayDeCampo
September 12th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Of course now the computer wants to make a liar out of me, and the good user cannot mount the USB stick as well. I'd appreciate any guidance, I haven't found anything in the logs.

Petertje
September 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Have you checked if the good users and bad users are in the same group? If not - there's your answer :)

else..
If you create a new user, will it have the same problem with mounting or will be fine?
If it is fine try to delete literally everything from bad users (settings) and re-make them to check whether it is ok.

If that doesn't work i am out of ideas for now :P

good luck