PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install ubuntu on the computer directly without windows

Barijazz
September 5th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Could you provide more information? What method will you be using to install Ubuntu? CD? Downloaded .iso? And do you want to replace DOS and/or Windows, or install Ubuntu in addition to them?

hockeytux
September 5th, 2009, 11:32 PM
thanks
iwant to download it from the site and iwant to setup it directly on dos without windows ?

MS Dos?

hockeytux
September 5th, 2009, 11:34 PM
What is your current operating system? Or is the computer brand new with nothing installed at all?

sideaway
September 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
You'll either need to order a CD from canonical, or download it with a copmuter that already has Ubuntu/Windows. After you've downloaded and burnt a copy of Ubuntu/recieved one in the mail, we just pop it in the CD drive, boot to the live CD, and double click the install button. Follow instructions and you're away laughing :)

hockeytux
September 5th, 2009, 11:38 PM
And Ubuntu on CD? Easy then. Put the CD in and reboot your computer.

Boot from CD and thats it. Youll get to a menu, choose 'Install Ubuntu' are youre all set :KS

mikewhatever
September 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
As a matter of fact, Allah willed from the very first release that you wouldn't need Windows to install Ubuntu, not even msdos, and a great decision it was.

hockeytux
September 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM
You need to boot from CD. Put the CD in as normal and then reboot. When the computer is starting up press F10. Then select booting from CD rather than from your harddisk (which has got XP on).

The rest should be a guided process through the Ubuntu installation menu.

oldos2er
September 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
thanks alot
can i have acd from the site although iam from egypt
or can you introduce an image from the cd to make it and begin setupping and again i thank you

You can do it either way. If you want to order a free CD, go to https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ . As far as I know, they ship to any location. Or you can download the ISO and burn it to CD, as was mentioned.