s3a
September 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
"5. What are the values of first and second in the following code:
int first = 10;
int second = 17;
first = first + second;
second = first + second;
first = first - second;
6. Rewrite the code in the previous exercise to be shorter, by declaring the variables together
and by using the special assignment operators (e.g., +=, -=, *=, and /=) as appropriate."

I've successfully created the program for #5. I don't understand how to make the program different because I don't understand what +=, -=, *=, and /= mean. Initially (I read the question too fast), I only picked up on the word different so instead of making a program that had lets say:

something = something;
something = something;
something = something;

I altered it to something like:

something = something; something = something; something = something;

and thought I was done with the question (6).

Basically what I am asking here is for an explanation as to what +=, -=, *=, and /= mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

jnorthr
September 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
the use of an arithmetic operator together with the equal sign implies there is only a single variable involved in the logic. Here are two examples:

let a = a + 1
let a += 1

both are identical in achieving the same end result. the 2nd choice just saves a little keyboard action :)

the other operations are the same : save some keystrokes.

first = first + second; becomes first += second;

socool274
September 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
That's easy, for an a = a+b sort of question, it would be a += b. Same with -, and /, an *.

Arndt
September 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
"5. What are the values of first and second in the following code:
int first = 10;
int second = 17;
first = first + second;
second = first + second;
first = first - second;
6. Rewrite the code in the previous exercise to be shorter, by declaring the variables together
and by using the special assignment operators (e.g., +=, -=, *=, and /=) as appropriate."

I've successfully created the program for #5. I don't understand how to make the program different because I don't understand what +=, -=, *=, and /= mean. Initially (I read the question too fast), I only picked up on the word different so instead of making a program that had lets say:

something = something;
something = something;
something = something;

I altered it to something like:

something = something; something = something; something = something;

and thought I was done with the question (6).

Basically what I am asking here is for an explanation as to what +=, -=, *=, and /= mean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Are you really on your own with these assignments? It's never happened to me that I took a course in something, and was not told where to find enough information to learn the appropriate things. Either books, lectures, lecture notes, or specific documentation pages on the Internet.

It's not as if += and the rest are fundamental elements of programming or mathematics, and you supposed to know them - not all programming languages have them. They are quite hard to look up, too, since they are not words.

As far as I know, they do mean the same in all languages where they occur, though, which is a good thing.

DaithiF
September 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
forum posts don't seem the most efficient way for you to learn java. From your posts in the last last week it sounds to me like you're trying these assignments without any background reading. If you're studying Java, surely you must be following some course with book(s), notes etc. Are you using those before posting?

Don't understand programming assignment question
How do you add numbers in Java?
Moderately complex java program question
Java - Printing only one of the numbers from a certain inputed multi-character number
Java - Swaping the value of two variables
Created two basic java programs succesfully but still have a question about them
Java System.out.println() question on Strings and numbers
Basic Java programming assignment, can't see my mistake
How do I use kate to compile/launch a java program?
Simple Java programming Question (I am a beginner)

defacto
September 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
You can not write Java without knowing it's syntax. From your question, we clearly see that you haven't read a single line of your book or other materials you have access to. These operators is an essential part of Java programming course and most probably, are discussed in one of the very first lessons.

a = a + b; // a += b
a = a - b; // a -= b

meson2439
September 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
My advice is:

Open up your favorite programming language, I recommend python for the interactivity. Just type each of this into your python console

first=10
second=17
first = first + second
print
second = first + second
print
first = first - second
print

Then try replacing = with += -= *= or /=

You'll understand it automatically.

s3a
September 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks! I get it now! I do have a book and notes but they show things in a very basic way and not any "creative" ways but yes I do consult those first. I also try to learn as much as I can at home before a course so that I can have better questions to ask my teacher if you know what I mean.

cjnkns
September 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I do not frequent this forum much, but I have to say...

I am really, really impressed that the OP was helped and not just simply given the answer!

The cheers for the Ubuntu community's commitment to learning!

MindSz
September 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
+1