PDA

View Full Version : Problem with gcc

bagljash
September 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hi,

I have problem with my gcc compiler. I've tried compiling newly written program but compiler returned weird output. I tried making some changes to my my program so it does work but same output appeared again. So I tried recompiling my existing programs but again same output.

Can someone help me with this because I'm just learning how to program and I'm also new to Ubuntu.

Here's output that gcc keep giving me

bagljash@bagljash:~/Documents$ gcc factorial.cpp
/tmp/ccC3Lcc3.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)':
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x1d): undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'
/tmp/ccC3Lcc3.o: In function `main':
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x7f): undefined reference to `std::cout'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x84): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x92): undefined reference to `std::cin'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x97): undefined reference to `std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator>>(int&)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xc4): undefined reference to `std::cout'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xc9): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(int)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xd1): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::endl<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xd9): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& (*)(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&))'
/tmp/ccC3Lcc3.o:(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thank you in advance.

bagljash

Arndt
September 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hi,

I have problem with my gcc compiler. I've tried compiling newly written program but compiler returned weird output. I tried making some changes to my my program so it does work but same output appeared again. So I tried recompiling my existing programs but again same output.

Can someone help me with this because I'm just learning how to program and I'm also new to Ubuntu.

Here's output that gcc keep giving me

bagljash@bagljash:~/Documents$ gcc factorial.cpp
/tmp/ccC3Lcc3.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)':
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x1d): undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::Init()'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `std::ios_base::Init::~Init()'
/tmp/ccC3Lcc3.o: In function `main':
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x7f): undefined reference to `std::cout'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x84): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x92): undefined reference to `std::cin'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0x97): undefined reference to `std::basic_istream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator>>(int&)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xc4): undefined reference to `std::cout'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xc9): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(int)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xd1): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::endl<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&)'
factorial.cpp:(.text+0xd9): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& (*)(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&))'
/tmp/ccC3Lcc3.o:(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thank you in advance.

bagljash

What does the program look like?

bagljash
September 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Oh sorry I forgot to post it.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(){
int num;
int total = 1;

cout <<"Enter number \n";
cin >> num;

for (int i = 1; i <= num; i++)
total *= i;

cout << total <<endl;

return 0;
}

MadCow108
September 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
your trying to compile a C++ program with gcc which is for C
use g++ instead

bagljash
September 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
thx now it works, but in the man page of gcc is written that this is GNU project C and C++ compiler, so why did I have problem compiling C++ program with it?

Sockerdrickan
September 5th, 2009, 11:10 PM
You have to specify the language (C++) as an argument for gcc or use g++

dwhitney67
September 6th, 2009, 01:15 AM
You have to specify the language (C++) as an argument for gcc or use g++

That's correct. One can use either:

gcc factorial.cpp -lstdc++

or

g++ factorial.cpp

Employ the one that you feel most comfortable typing at the command line.