PDA

View Full Version : The Top 8 Most Annoying Theater Patrons You Will Never Meet

schauerlich
September 5th, 2009, 07:42 PM
(FYI: I wrote this, it's not spam/copypasta (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=copypasta), etc)

Everyone who works in customer service knows what it's like to deal with annoying people. However, ushers at movie theaters have the unique pleasure of cleaning up after people they've never even come face to face to, and hate them for it. Here's a list of the top 8 most annoying theater patrons that you will never actually meet.

I use "Mr." and "he" because I'm sexist because it's easier, but these archetypes apply just as well to either gender.

8) Mr. Full Bag
He paid $7 for a bag of popcorn. He probably complained about how much it cost to the concessions person, too. He wanted light butter, not too much, and you've got to make sure to put some in the middle and on top (as if that isn't standard practice at every theater ever). But what does he do once he gets inside the theater? Certainly, he'll watch the movie. After all, he paid $10 for that. But that bag of popcorn? It makes a nice floor ornament. It really goes well with the cinemuck (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cinemuck) coating the floor. This Movie Maverick is entirely content with nibbling off the top of the bag and leaving the rest behind, ready for the person next to him to kick it over on their way out.

7) Mr. Bag-In-Chair
He thinks he's being polite. He's just seen a movie, enjoyed his overpriced popcorn, and gotten a good two thirds of the way through it. He's already doing better than Mr. Full Bag. But, instead of placing it on the floor with the rest of the junk an usher has to sweep up, he decides to "help a brotha out," so to speak, and put his crumpled up popcorn bag between the fold up seat and the chair backing, wedged down low to make sure it doesn't come out. Not only is this not helpful, it actually makes it harder to clean.

6) The Littluns
When Pixar or Dreamworks releases a new animated film, most people jump for joy. Surely it'll be a heartwarming tale of good over evil, true love, or friendship. However, ushers across America groan. There is some sort of subliminal messaging in every children's movie that comes out that causes kids to throw $%&@ everywhere. It's uncanny. A packed theater full of old people is consistently cleaner than a near empty movie if anyone under 12 goes to see it.

5) Mr. Crunk
He could get drunk at home, but where's the fun in that? No, he's going to take a walk on the wild side (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ88oTITMoM) and bring his forty of Mickey's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_liquor#Forties_.2840s.29) to the theater, plop down in the back, and have a good time. Then, once he's good and buzzed, he's going to… sit there, I guess. He rarely throws away his own alcohol bottles, because the trash cans are outside the theater, and he doesn't want to risk getting caught. No, he'll leave it on the floor. It's usually cheap malt liquor or beer, but if he's feeling classy, he might put a little Captain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Morgan) in him. Even old women aren't immune to this phenomenon: bottles of Pinot Grigio are not uncommon. He is often combined with Mr. Spills-A-Lot, who you'll meet in a moment.

4) The Feaster
The recession has hit each of us in a different way. Most of us have had to cut back on expenses in one way or another. Some of us even had to move to a cheaper place to live because rent was too high. But this Champion of Chomp is cutting costs by wearing a baggy sweatshirt in late July so that he can shove as much food as possible in it. What sets him apart from the average joe who stops by the gas station on the way in to pick up some whoppers is volume and debris. A bag of candy, a bottle of soda, a bag from Burger King with FryPod™ (http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1267/frypod.jpg) intact, a pizza box, a tin foil from God knows what, a Jamba Juice cup, a hotdog wrapper... He is like a Littlun who never grew out of the urge to throw food on the floor combined with someone too cheap to pony up for a popcorn.

3) Mr. Spills-A-Lot
It happens sometimes. We all spill. Ushers can deal with that, it's part of the job description. But Mr. Spills-A-Lot is a different breed of spiller. He usually sits near the back of the slanted theater, and spills near the beginning of the show. Then, instead of making a dam out of the 40 napkins he got for his popcorn with no butter, or even running out into the lobby and asking for paper towels, he is content to sit there through the entire movie with a pool of soda at his feet, slowly trickling down onto the heels of those in front of him, soaking purses and generally wreaking havoc on the poor souls in the rows in front of him. By the time an usher is aware of the spill, it's propagated through the whole theater and pooled near the bottom, intermixed with stray popcorn kernels that came along for the ride. Mop in hand, the intrepid usher must go into the center of a row, mop up what he can reach, and then move to the next row down. And then repeat that 20 times.

2) Mr. Sunflower Seeds
Admission is expensive. He's too cheap to buy any of the (admittedly overpriced) refreshments available at the concession stand. He's going to sit there for 2 hours uncomfortably close to strangers. Must be at a baseball stadium, right? This Cinema Samurai is satisfied to slew his saliva saturated shells on the floor straight through the show. Never mind the free cups available at the concession stand, no. That would cramp his style. He's got to Have It His Way™ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_advertising) and drop it at his feet. A true hero in his own mind.

1) Mr. Spit Tobacco
Much like his cousin, Mr. Sunflower Seeds, this Expectoration Exhibitionist confuses the movie theater with the baseball stadium. He at least has the courtesy to grab two free cups from the concession stand on his way in; however, what he uses them for is vile. One cup contains the soggy, clumpy remains of a wad of tobacco wallowing in its own juices. And that's the better half. The other one contains possibly the most disgusting liquid that's to be found in a theater. Filled with something warm, brown, and smelling strongly of death, the spittoon is a treat to dispose of. Mr. Spit Tobacco is an interesting case study: unlike the others on this list, his claim to fame doesn't stem from his unique ability to create an impressive volume of trash. His debris is usually quite compact. Instead, the annoyance, the revolt, the pure evil that he leaves in his wake is concentrated into two cups hardly bigger than a double shot glass. If you meet this man in a movie theater one day, do me a favor: shake his hand. Congratulate him. He has successfully grossed out some of the most battle hardened individuals this side of 'Nam.

Well, that concludes my list of the top 8 most annoying theater patrons you'll never meet. If you've found yourself on this list, don't be afraid. It's not too late. All it takes is a little courtesy, a little common sense, and some self determination. You, too, can become a functioning member of society.

Dharmachakra
September 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hahaha. That's some good work right there.

I'll admit... I'm guilty of leaving bags of popcorn on the ground. I'll usually eat them to the point where you just have those tiny pieces at the bottom and then toss the bag to the side. I'll think twice next time.

schauerlich
September 5th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hahaha. That's some good work right there.

I'll admit... I'm guilty of leaving bags of popcorn on the ground. I'll usually eat them to the point where you just have those tiny pieces at the bottom and then toss the bag to the side. I'll think twice next time.

On the ground is fine. That's standard operating procedure. But shoving into the seats is just annoying.

pwnst*r
September 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
if the person making my popcorn is zit-faced, i'll change my mind on it. dunno if that's butter or puss.

schauerlich
September 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM
if the person making my popcorn is zit-faced, i'll change my mind on it. dunno if that's butter or puss.

Theaters have low hiring standards. Probably how I got that job. :)

pwnst*r
September 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Theaters have low hiring standards. Probably how I got that job. :)

mostly it's not the employees i can't stand, but like you, the people that go to theaters. very rarely will i step foot in a theater because of, but not limited to the following:

*Cell phones and morons that think they're privileged to use them. i wish it was legal to block signals in theaters.

*talking. s**u and watch the movie. if you have to explain a lot of things to your SO, date, or friend, they're complete morons and you should move on.

*seating is usually not very comfortable.

*film quality can be ok at best, but after a couple of weeks, turns fairly rubbish.

because of this, i've spent a pretty good amount of money on my system at home which allows me to wait fairly patiently until films are released on BluRay

Skripka
September 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I hate people.

schauerlich
September 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I hate people.

+1

You kind of learn to hate humanity when you work in customer service.

RiceMonster
September 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I'm so glad I don't have to work with the public anymore.

Skripka
September 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
mostly it's not the employees i can't stand, but like you, the people that go to theaters. very rarely will i step foot in a theater because of, but not limited to the following:

*Cell phones and morons that think they're privileged to use them. i wish it was legal to block signals in theaters.

*talking. s**u and watch the movie. if you have to explain a lot of things to your SO, date, or friend, they're complete morons and you should move on.

What are GREAT are the one's that use custom ring tones that are OH sooooo cool...until they go off in a dead-quite packed house at the worst time.

I'm stage manager for a ~800 seat concert hall at my Uni. Fortunately my job description almost NEVER deals with patrons. A few weeks ago there was an all-school convocation, with Uni dignitaries doing a simulcast in different venues by campus cable. 90% of the 800 freshman in my hall were texting the WHOLE time...ALL of them threw their program on the floor, their ballot dealio on the floor, with the free pencil, and their Uni pin wrapper for the pin they got. If ya DON'T WANT TO BE THERE, why did ya go in the first place.

RiceMonster
September 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM

I hate people who will not stop texting in general. I know two people who are dating and will literally text each other non stop when they're not together. Even if they're with friends, they'll spend the entire time texting. I've even heard them say something like this to each other: "Why did you stop texting me between 4:00 and 4:30?" Honestly, what the hell could you be doing for that half hour that would be so damn interesting?

schauerlich
September 5th, 2009, 09:38 PM
"Why did you stop texting me between 4:00 and 4:30?" Honestly, what the hell could you be doing for that half hour that would be so damn interesting?

Well, if they've stopped texting constantly, then they must be cheating on them.

pwnst*r
September 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I hate people who will not stop texting in general. I know two people who are dating and will literally text each other non stop when they're not together. Even if they're with friends, they'll spend the entire time texting. I've even heard them say something like this to each other: "Why did you stop texting me between 4:00 and 4:30?" Honestly, what the hell could you be doing for that half hour that would be so damn interesting?

i agree. it's good to step away from tech for a bit, ESPECIALLY when you're in the company of others (dinner, etc) because honestly, it's a bit rude.

pwnst*r
September 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM
What are GREAT are the one's that use custom ring tones that are OH sooooo cool...until they go off in a dead-quite packed house at the worst time.

I'm stage manager for a ~800 seat concert hall at my Uni. Fortunately my job description almost NEVER deals with patrons. A few weeks ago there was an all-school convocation, with Uni dignitaries doing a simulcast in different venues by campus cable. 90% of the 800 freshman in my hall were texting the WHOLE time...ALL of them threw their program on the floor, their ballot dealio on the floor, with the free pencil, and their Uni pin wrapper for the pin they got. If ya DON'T WANT TO BE THERE, why did ya go in the first place.

yet more proof that most people are morons.

The Real Dave
September 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Offically requesting permission to post this to my blog, of course giving full credit to author, and a link back to here =]

And, one other person to add to the list is the commentator. They're usually with a friend, and insist that because the narrative of the movie is so poor, they'll fill it in :D

hanzomon4
September 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Hahaha!!!

You sir just made my day

schauerlich
September 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Offically requesting permission to post this to my blog, of course giving full credit to author, and a link back to here =]

Go ahead, just send me a link to the blog and make sure to link back here.

The Real Dave
September 6th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Go ahead, just send me a link to the blog and make sure to link back here.

Thanks a million :D Here's (http://http://evidex.wordpress.com/2009/09/06/look-what-i-found/) the link

HappinessNow
September 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM
i'm so glad i don't have to work with the public anymore.

+1

(FYI: I wrote this, it's not spam/copypasta (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=copypasta), etc)

Everyone who works in customer service knows what it's like to deal with annoying people. However, ushers at movie theaters have the unique pleasure of cleaning up after people they've never even come face to face to, and hate them for it. Here's a list of the top 8 most annoying theater patrons that you will never actually meet.

I use "Mr." and "he" because I'm sexist because it's easier, but these archetypes apply just as well to either gender.

8) Mr. Full Bag
He paid $7 for a bag of popcorn. He probably complained about how much it cost to the concessions person, too. He wanted light butter, not too much, and you've got to make sure to put some in the middle and on top (as if that isn't standard practice at every theater ever). But what does he do once he gets inside the theater? Certainly, he'll watch the movie. After all, he paid $10 for that. But that bag of popcorn? It makes a nice floor ornament. It really goes well with the cinemuck (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cinemuck) coating the floor. This Movie Maverick is entirely content with nibbling off the top of the bag and leaving the rest behind, ready for the person next to him to kick it over on their way out.

7) Mr. Bag-In-Chair
He thinks he's being polite. He's just seen a movie, enjoyed his overpriced popcorn, and gotten a good two thirds of the way through it. He's already doing better than Mr. Full Bag. But, instead of placing it on the floor with the rest of the junk an usher has to sweep up, he decides to "help a brotha out," so to speak, and put his crumpled up popcorn bag between the fold up seat and the chair backing, wedged down low to make sure it doesn't come out. Not only is this not helpful, it actually makes it harder to clean.

6) The Littluns
When Pixar or Dreamworks releases a new animated film, most people jump for joy. Surely it'll be a heartwarming tale of good over evil, true love, or friendship. However, ushers across America groan. There is some sort of subliminal messaging in every children's movie that comes out that causes kids to throw $%&@ everywhere. It's uncanny. A packed theater full of old people is consistently cleaner than a near empty movie if anyone under 12 goes to see it.

5) Mr. Crunk
He could get drunk at home, but where's the fun in that? No, he's going to take a walk on the wild side (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ88oTITMoM) and bring his forty of Mickey's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_liquor#Forties_.2840s.29) to the theater, plop down in the back, and have a good time. Then, once he's good and buzzed, he's going to… sit there, I guess. He rarely throws away his own alcohol bottles, because the trash cans are outside the theater, and he doesn't want to risk getting caught. No, he'll leave it on the floor. It's usually cheap malt liquor or beer, but if he's feeling classy, he might put a little Captain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Morgan) in him. Even old women aren't immune to this phenomenon: bottles of Pinot Grigio are not uncommon. He is often combined with Mr. Spills-A-Lot, who you'll meet in a moment.

4) The Feaster
The recession has hit each of us in a different way. Most of us have had to cut back on expenses in one way or another. Some of us even had to move to a cheaper place to live because rent was too high. But this Champion of Chomp is cutting costs by wearing a baggy sweatshirt in late July so that he can shove as much food as possible in it. What sets him apart from the average joe who stops by the gas station on the way in to pick up some whoppers is volume and debris. A bag of candy, a bottle of soda, a bag from Burger King with FryPod™ (http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1267/frypod.jpg) intact, a pizza box, a tin foil from God knows what, a Jamba Juice cup, a hotdog wrapper... He is like a Littlun who never grew out of the urge to throw food on the floor combined with someone too cheap to pony up for a popcorn.

3) Mr. Spills-A-Lot
It happens sometimes. We all spill. Ushers can deal with that, it's part of the job description. But Mr. Spills-A-Lot is a different breed of spiller. He usually sits near the back of the slanted theater, and spills near the beginning of the show. Then, instead of making a dam out of the 40 napkins he got for his popcorn with no butter, or even running out into the lobby and asking for paper towels, he is content to sit there through the entire movie with a pool of soda at his feet, slowly trickling down onto the heels of those in front of him, soaking purses and generally wreaking havoc on the poor souls in the rows in front of him. By the time an usher is aware of the spill, it's propagated through the whole theater and pooled near the bottom, intermixed with stray popcorn kernels that came along for the ride. Mop in hand, the intrepid usher must go into the center of a row, mop up what he can reach, and then move to the next row down. And then repeat that 20 times.

2) Mr. Sunflower Seeds
Admission is expensive. He's too cheap to buy any of the (admittedly overpriced) refreshments available at the concession stand. He's going to sit there for 2 hours uncomfortably close to strangers. Must be at a baseball stadium, right? This Cinema Samurai is satisfied to slew his saliva saturated shells on the floor straight through the show. Never mind the free cups available at the concession stand, no. That would cramp his style. He's got to Have It His Way™ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_advertising) and drop it at his feet. A true hero in his own mind.

1) Mr. Spit Tobacco
Much like his cousin, Mr. Sunflower Seeds, this Expectoration Exhibitionist confuses the movie theater with the baseball stadium. He at least has the courtesy to grab two free cups from the concession stand on his way in; however, what he uses them for is vile. One cup contains the soggy, clumpy remains of a wad of tobacco wallowing in its own juices. And that's the better half. The other one contains possibly the most disgusting liquid that's to be found in a theater. Filled with something warm, brown, and smelling strongly of death, the spittoon is a treat to dispose of. Mr. Spit Tobacco is an interesting case study: unlike the others on this list, his claim to fame doesn't stem from his unique ability to create an impressive volume of trash. His debris is usually quite compact. Instead, the annoyance, the revolt, the pure evil that he leaves in his wake is concentrated into two cups hardly bigger than a double shot glass. If you meet this man in a movie theater one day, do me a favor: shake his hand. Congratulate him. He has successfully grossed out some of the most battle hardened individuals this side of 'Nam.

Well, that concludes my list of the top 8 most annoying theater patrons you'll never meet. If you've found yourself on this list, don't be afraid. It's not too late. All it takes is a little courtesy, a little common sense, and some self determination. You, too, can become a functioning member of society. Great list but you forgot one.

0) Mr. Passes-Gas-A-Lot
Sounds like Sir Lancelot but believe me, this is No Sir and No Lancelot! This person makes any movie unbearable to watch and you can forget about the snacks you just bought. This Gastrointestinal misfit seems to enjoy that he can ruin it for the rest of us. Please Mr. can I have No more!?

schauerlich
September 6th, 2009, 01:39 AM
+1

Great list but you forgot one.

0) Mr. Passes-Gas-A-Lot
Sounds like Sir Lancelot but believe me, this is No Sir and No Lancelot! This person makes any movie unbearable to watch and you can forget about the snacks you just bought. This Gastrointestinal misfit seems to enjoy that he can ruin it for the rest of us. Please Mr. can I have No more!?

This is only for people that I clean up after, not people who annoy me when watching movies. Customers sitting in a dark room away from the lobby is the best part of the experience to us. :)