PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Gnome

Anybloodyid
September 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hi

I recently removed something which took away my Ubutu desktop
So I logged out and then when I logged back in I clicked on options and then change session followed by Gnome but when the desktop appears I've still got XFCE?

How do I get my desktop back?

Liolikas
September 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Install Gnome again.

ibizatunes
September 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

should do it

Anybloodyid
September 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Did that but still doesn't appear when I click on it?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.

ibizatunes
September 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM
what did you remove?

Finalfantasykid
September 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Ok I have an idea.

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop

then after that is done, type

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I think the ubuntu-desktop package only contains a list of other packages it needs to download. So removing it should do no harm, but when you install it again, it should check all those sources again, and download the ones that you are missing.

Anybloodyid
September 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Tried uninstall and reinstall
Logged out and in
Changed session to Gnome
Nothing!!

snowpine
September 5th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Forgive me if this is a stupid question... :)

When you choose Options->Sessions->Gnome and then log in... how exactly do you know you aren't in Gnome? What are the "symptoms"?

Anybloodyid
September 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Hi
Not a stupid question at all I might be in Gnome but I can see that rat in the bottom left of my desktop which is not the desktop that I want.
I want the ubuntu desktop that I had when I first installed Ubuntu.

wojox
September 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Try:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

snowpine
September 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Can you just right click and Change Desktop Background back to the original artwork?

R_W322
September 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Boot in to XFce then run this
Sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop Then after its removed run this code.

sudo apt-get remove a2ps abiword abiword-common abiword-help abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview abiword-plugins app-install-data-commercial aumix catfish cupsys-driver-gutenprint exo-utils fortune-mod fortunes-min gigolo gnumeric gnumeric-common gnumeric-doc gnumeric-gtk gpicview gtk2-engines-xfce imagemagick imagemagick-doc latex-xft-fonts libaiksaurus-1.2-0c2a libaiksaurus-1.2-data libaiksaurusgtk-1.2-0c2a libdiscid0 libexo-0.3-0 libfftw3-3 libgda3-3 libgda3-bin libgda3-common libgdl-1-0 libgdl-1-common libgdome2-0 libgdome2-cpp-smart0c2a libgoffice-0-6 libgoffice-0-6-common libgoffice-gtk-0-6 libgsf-gnome-1-114 libgtkmathview0c2a liblink-grammar4 libloudmouth1-0 libmad0 libmpcdec3 libnotify-bin libofa0 libots0 librecode0 libt1-5 libtagc0 libthunar-vfs-1-2 libtunepimp5 libwv-1.2-3 libxfce4menu-0.1-0 libxfce4util4 libxfcegui4-4 libxfconf-0-2 link-grammar-dictionaries-en listen mousepad mozilla-thunderbird orage oss-compat psutils python-gnome2-extras python-musicbrainz2 python-mutagen python-ogg python-pymad python-pyogg python-pysqlite2 python-pyvorbis python-tunepimp scim-modules-table scim-tables-additional tango-icon-theme tango-icon-theme-common tcl8.4 thunar thunar-archive-plugin thunar-data thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-thumbnailers thunar-volman thunderbird vim-runtime wdiff xchat xchat-common xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-dict-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-governor-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-mixer xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-panel xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin xfce4-screenshooter xfce4-session xfce4-settings xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-terminal xfce4-utils xfce4-verve-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin xfconf xfdesktop4 xfdesktop4-data xfprint4 xfswitch-plugin xfwm4 xfwm4-themes xubuntu-artwork xubuntu-artwork-usplash xubuntu-default-settings xubuntu-desktop xubuntu-docs && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktopI Don't know if you want to keep XFce or not but this will Install the Default Gnome Desktop for you.

RYAN.WDZIECZNY

Anybloodyid
September 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Tried that still no luck
Now when computer starts I get Ubuntu Studio (Yes I Did install this) at least that's what it says as progress bar lights up the Ubuntu Studio wording.
But when it's loaded I still get the rat in the bottom corner.
I'm thinking maybe leave it the computer boots up I can surf the net and use Open Office so what's the point?
Used to get these quirky things in windoze so what's new?

Anybloodyid
September 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Simple solution to it all really, I just removed everything that had XFCE ttached to it and back came my Ubuntu desktop.