PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox crashing when viewing sites with flash

Cashman3000
September 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I think this may be a reoccuring theme on the forum but i am having issues with my firefox today. Using firefox 3.0.13 on Ubuntu 9.04. Last night I fell asleep watching hulu.com and noticed this morning when i woke up that that firefox had closed down. Now it seems that firefox crashes immediately upon entering any site using flash.

I ran firefox from the terminal and I get this message when I crash:

[SmartNamer] updateEntry()
Segmentation fault

Anyone know how to fix this problem without having to reinstall Ubuntu?

Liolikas
September 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Get latest flash from adobe site and reinstall flash.

Cashman3000
September 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Okay went to Adobe site. Downloaded Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.32.18 for Linux using Installation instructions for tar.gz. I downloaded the file to my desktop. Where do I extract the file? Its "libflashplayer.so" Right now it went to my desktop and not sure if that is correct. Most likely not.

The instructions say that a directory called install_flash_player_10_linux will be created and that I need to navigate to this directory and type ./flashplayer-installer to run the installer.

Could you possibly walk me through the rest of this Flash Installation? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the initial quick response to my thread....

PorkyPie
September 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Download this one instead (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/thankyou/?installer=Flash_Player_10_for_Linux_%28.deb%29) . Simply download, double click and clck on Install Package. Then, Adobe Flash Player is on your computer.

Liolikas
September 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
mv ~/Desktop/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

Restart Firefox.
or even better upper advice it will install flash for all users.

Cashman3000
September 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the help. I will let you know if I crash again....

PorkyPie
September 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the help. I will let you know if I crash again....

You're welcome. We hope you get it working! :D

And... usually, you should use a .deb version if it's provided, it's better for your system, plus, it only takes a minute to install.

Cashman3000
September 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM
so everything seemed to be working after the deb install and then it promptly crashed again. And to make matters worse the terminal wouldnt even stay open. It crashed right after opening then wouldnt even open at all. I am currently on my netbook and decided to do a fresh Ubuntu install on my desktop. Seems like an easier way to resolve problem.

This all stemmed from leaving Hulu.com open all night. Have you ever heard of anything like this happening?

PorkyPie
September 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
so everything seemed to be working after the deb install and then it promptly crashed again. And to make matters worse the terminal wouldnt even stay open. It crashed right after opening then wouldnt even open at all. I am currently on my netbook and decided to do a fresh Ubuntu install on my desktop. Seems like an easier way to resolve problem.

This all stemmed from leaving Hulu.com open all night. Have you ever heard of anything like this happening?

Could you please go to terminal and type
firefox?

Then, don't close the terminal, go and do whatever you were doing on hulu in the firefox window that appears, and post everything that appears in the terminal here.

Cashman3000
September 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
after i installed that deb install of flash 10, I couldn't even open up the terminal. Very weird. I am reinstalling Ubuntu as we speak. I think in the future i will just stay away from using hulu with Ubuntu because everything had been working great beforehand. Thanks for the help.

PorkyPie
September 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
after i installed that deb install of flash 10, I couldn't even open up the terminal. Very weird. I am reinstalling Ubuntu as we speak. I think in the future i will just stay away from using hulu with Ubuntu because everything had been working great beforehand. Thanks for the help.

Go to add/remove and install konsole, then run firefox in that. Sorry that you're re-installing. :(

This seems a very weird sort of problem to me, and i strongly beleive that theres no need to re-install. I don't think flash/hulu caused the problem somehow.

lovinglinux
September 6th, 2009, 02:59 AM
This seems a very weird sort of problem to me, and i strongly beleive that theres no need to re-install. I don't think flash/hulu caused the problem somehow.

+1 for that

For the purpose of troubleshooting, create new Firefox profile from the profile manager:

firefox -P

Launch the new profile and visit the site crashing Firefox. Report back if it still crashes.

Also take a look at the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567)

MelDJ
September 6th, 2009, 04:45 AM
hey, i think this might be the solution: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-firefox-crashes-on-flash-contents-when-using-libflashsupport-in-hardy.html

hope it works:D

frank002
September 6th, 2009, 04:59 AM
You can try the latest Firefox, version 3.5 called Shiretoko, You can install it from Synaptic. You can also try Opera. The latest is Opera 10. I am using it and so far, it has been great.

Cashman3000
September 7th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I will definitely check out the "libflashsupport" flash fix for jaunty the next time I run into problems with Firefox and the phantom crashing occurs. Thank for all the ideas everyone. I am obviously new to Ubuntu and every little bit of knowledge helps. This site is incredible!

mike555
September 7th, 2009, 02:52 AM
If you don't get flash working good for you , you might try " Epiphany -webkit " from the package manager it doesn't use mozilla as it's backend and plays flash much better .....

opp's it doesn't work on Jaunty ... sorry

PorkyPie
September 11th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I will definitely check out the "libflashsupport" flash fix for jaunty the next time I run into problems with Firefox and the phantom crashing occurs. Thank for all the ideas everyone. I am obviously new to Ubuntu and every little bit of knowledge helps. This site is incredible!

On behalf of all of us, you're welcome :). There's about 909,204, probably more after this posting. If you ever have a problem, don't hesitate to post a thread :).