PDA

View Full Version : Oh dear...

themarker0
September 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I think i might go to 7... sadly. All because of one stupid distro...

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/Site/Home.html

I think i might go to react first...

gletob
September 5th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Don't call it stupid.

You and me might not like it but that doesn't mean that a hundred little girls who's parents are Linux users wont love it.

In my oppinion they would have been better off just distributing it as a theme or a package that installs all of that on top of kubuntu

init1
September 5th, 2009, 05:17 PM
:lolflag:
There's a Linux for pretty much everything now

bodyharvester
September 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Don't call it stupid.

You and me might not like it but that doesn't mean that a hundred little girls who's parents are Linux users wont love it.

In my oppinion they would have been better off just distributing it as a theme or a package that installs all of that on top of kubuntu

i agree, it would be better if it was a theme or something

RabbitWho
September 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Wait.. isn't that just a kubuntu theme?

gletob
September 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Wait.. isn't that just a kubuntu theme?

Essentially yes, but they distribute it as a whole distro.

AFAIK It's vanilla Kubuntu with a theme.

On a side note: If you guys remeber that thread a few weeks ago about installing linux on machines at best buy, then this would be the ultimate distro to use.

lovinglinux
September 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Don't call it stupid.

There are already several threads about that distro and believe a lot of people is missing an important point - trademark and copyright. When someone uses the Ubuntu logo or the Tux image for an unrelated marketing campaign, like the corn flakes box with the penguin, a lot of people complain about it. But what about the Hanna Montana trademark, the actress image rights and the photographs copyrights? I doubt that the Hanna Montana distro has a license to use them. It doesn't seems to be created by Disney, but by a fan.

I don't believe a simple theme would generate any legal issues, but an OS using another company trademark as name is a serious thing. IMO, that's not good for the FOSS image.

MikeTheC
September 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Well, at least it's not like there's a "Rap" distro, or a "Barney the Purple Dinosaur" distro, or worse yet, a "Country Music" distro (y'all)...

I'd *have* to switch to something else, then...

RiceMonster
September 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well, at least it's not like there's a "Rap" distro, or a "Barney the Purple Dinosaur" distro, or worse yet, a "Country Music" distro (y'all)...

I'd *have* to switch to something else, then...

So what if there is? You don't have to use it.

MikeTheC
September 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
So what if there is? You don't have to use it.

Because, man... the contamination *might* spread out until the whole of the Linux movement is engulfed by it!

I mean, unless you have some kind of solution for that.

RabbitWho
September 5th, 2009, 05:57 PM
to be honest i don't know who joanna montanna is

sydbat
September 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Because, man... the contamination *might* spread out until the whole of the Linux movement is engulfed by it!

I mean, unless you have some kind of solution for that.Nuclear fallout??

xpod
September 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Re: Oh dear...

Oh dear what can the matter be...
Dear dear distro calamity....

Make a good tune that would eh.

Our girls computers can often look like Hannah Montana has been let loose on the things, even without the HM themed Distro.

earthpigg
September 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
i should release a Michael Jackson remix of my little project.

MJMML

Michael Jackson Memmorial Moonwalking Linux.

sydbat
September 5th, 2009, 06:53 PM
i should release a Michael Jackson remix of my little project.

MJMML

Michael Jackson Memmorial Moonwalking Linux.Only if you set it up so, at random times, MJ Moonwalks across the screen (especially in front of everything).

Exodist
September 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Dear god wheres my knife.. I feel like slicing my wrist now... /cry

Dharmachakra
September 5th, 2009, 07:10 PM
This doesn't seem any more ridiculous than some of the other distros floating around. There are plenty of distros that cater to incredibly small (nonexistent) niches.