PDA

View Full Version : Problem Installing Python Site-Packages/Modules

hatros
September 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I've been having trouble with a few python programs on my jaunty system. It seems like I have more than one version of python installed, and when I try to install something like PYGAME it installs into one of the older python folders/distributions.

/usr/local/lib/ has 3 python folders:
python2.5, python2.6, and python3.0
The first 2 are pretty much empty, and python3.0 is full of .py files and whatnot.. so I assume its the active version on my system.

I installed python-pygame, with apt-get but then when I run the python interpreter and try "import pygame" it says no module found. I checked in /usr/local/lib/python3.0/site-packages to see if it was there, but it wasn't. In fact that folder is almost empty.

I looked around some more and finally found pygame here instead:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pygame

And when I look in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
it is full of packages.

So my question is.. what's going on? how do I get python to install into the most current distribution folder? .. I've had a variety of other strange problems with python programs. I feel like this is all related.

I've tried just moving pygame from /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pygame to /usr/local/lib/python3.0/site-packages/pygame, but obviously that's not enough, because then I just get other module loading errors when running the python interpretor and importing pygame.

Why do my packages install to a older version of python? I'm confused.

nipunreddevil
September 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I installed all with synaptic and never faced a problem

hatros
September 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I've tried that.. although I figured it wouldbe the same as using apt-get. It just installs into:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pygame

And this is my pythonpath according to sys.path:
['', '/usr/local/lib/python30.zip', '/usr/local/lib/python3.0', '/usr/local/lib/python3.0/plat-linux2', '/usr/local/lib/python3.0/lib-dynload', '/home/hup/.local/lib/python3.0/site-packages', '/usr/local/lib/python3.0/site-packages']

Anyone have any ideas why pygame is installing to /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/pygame ? doesn't it or shouldn't it use something from the python path for installation?

nipunreddevil
September 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
i read somewhere that there is some way in which using synaptic you could ensure which version of dependency you want to install for.don't remember it though

unutbu
September 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Some system applications which use python will break if run under python3.0.
There are also many python modules (like pygame and numpy/scipy) which have not yet been ported to python3.0. Because of all these problems, python2.x is still the default "main" python used by Ubuntu.

I suggest you uninstall all the python installations you have in /usr/local.
Then, as nipunreddevil suggests, just use the python packages in the official Ubuntu repositories.

$(which python) --version
should return something of the form

Python 2.x.x

hatros
September 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Ah, ok. That makes sense then. PYGAME is installing to its supported python version..

And that python3.0 I installed is likely breaking some other python applications I've been having trouble with.

My problem now is.. how do I get rid of python3.0? Its not selected in Synaptec. apt-get says its not installed. I also tried dpkg -autoremove python3 which removed a few things.. but python3 still loads when I type "python" into the terminal window.

All I can think of now is to delete the python3 libs and uninstall everything python and re-install. That'll suck.. because it will also remove everything dependent on python, right?

hatros
September 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I uninstalled python.. that was fun. That killed my GUI, so I re-install python and then ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-minimal ubuntu-standard

Python still wouldn't work though, or at least the interpreter wouldn't work. So I ended up going to /usr/local/bin and deleting:
2to3 python3.0 python3.0-config pydoc python-config idle smtpd.py
and then the python3.0 dir from /usr/local/lib

and now I'm back to python2.6 and pygame installs fine.

Thanks for giving me the clues I needed!

*and as a bonus quodlibet and sudoku among other apps all work again too.