PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard + wine (the liquid type) = disaster!

Twizzle
September 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I have a wireless keyboard with built in touch pad that I use with my media PC and the other day managed to spill a bit of wine on the keyboard. I quickly dabbed it and carried on but today have just found that the G H B and N keys no longer work.

I have carefully prised the keys off and cleaned with a damp ear bud and left to dry but still no luck.

As it is like a laptop keyboard, I can take it all apart but once out of the case, it is a thin sealed unit and I can not see a way to get inside of it to clean any more.

As it is now basically ruined, I was wondering if any one had any suggestions before I resort to buying a new one.

I was half tempted to run the keys under some cold water and leaving it to dry over night but I am not really sure how much damage that would do (guess it does not matter now though!)

Rhubarb
September 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'd give it a wash in warm soapy water, then a thorough rinse in water.
Then allow the keyboard to dry for a day or two.

Be sure to take the batteries out first!

I can't guarantee this'll work, but I'd say it should work for you.

Otherwise, you could always get yourself a rubber flexible keyboard, ... or you could use a wiimote + bluetooth adapter as your keyboard / mouse ;)

speedwell68
September 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'd say it has had it. My Dad poured coffee into my keyboard and it never recovered.

alienclone
September 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
it isnt a total loss if you want to remap the few keys that dont work, or use an on-screen keyboard when you need to type those letters.