PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Gparted, for erasing all of my files. :)

gymophett
September 5th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I resized my partition today, so I could dual-boot Ubuntu 9.04 with Windows XP.
To find out GParted ERASED Ubuntu completely, with all of my WONDERFUL pictures and music which are NOT backed up.

Someone, kill GParted..
Someone, help me feel better. :(

Paqman
September 5th, 2009, 04:08 AM
NOT backed up.

Guessing you probably don't need a lecture about this?

gymophett
September 5th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Guessing you probably don't need a lecture about this?

I've learned my lesson.:neutral:

NovaAesa
September 5th, 2009, 04:10 AM
While it sucks that you lost your data, you have now learnt a very valuable lesson: always back up before doing *anything* to do with partitioning.

FuturePilot
September 5th, 2009, 04:11 AM
While it sucks that you lost your data, you have now learnt a very valuable lesson: always back up before doing *anything* to do with partitioning.

Always backup. period.

gymophett
September 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I don't have an external hard drive though. :(
and my parents aren't going to be like, SURE, you can have one.

bear24rw
September 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM
photorec !!!! quick!

gymophett
September 5th, 2009, 04:17 AM
photorec !!!! quick!

You know what, I just now thought of that, after installing XP so I could dual-boot. :neutral:

-grubby
September 5th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Even backing up to another partition on the same hard drive would be better than no backup. Just in case, for example, you accidentally delete all the files on the partition with your data (not backups) on it

magmon
September 5th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I recently got a 500 gig external HD for this very reason. I never keep anything that isnt easily replaced on my computer though.

Paqman
September 5th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Cheap option: old second hand drive off eBay + drive caddy = USB external drive.

You don't necessarily need brand new gear for something you might only use once a month. You could sweeten the deal by offering to back up your parents' data, too.

benmoran
September 5th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Most people forget this option, but.... DVDs! I used to have a few DVD-RWs that I used to backup my music once in a while. With a backup it's not like you need to be able to access them every day. Just burn them once a month and put em away.

praveesh
September 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I resized my partition today, so I could dual-boot Ubuntu 9.04 with Windows XP.
To find out GParted ERASED Ubuntu completely, with all of my WONDERFUL pictures and music which are NOT backed up.

Someone, kill GParted..
Someone, help me feel better. :(

you may want to use a recovery software to recover your valuable data. There is a free software named testdisk which you can use (just google. ) .

praveesh
September 5th, 2009, 05:54 AM
There is one more software named diskdigger. It's a freeware for windows, but works fine under latest wine( 1.0.28 ) . It can recover pictures, movies, pdfs and a variety of file formats from even worstly formatted drives.

aldld
September 5th, 2009, 06:09 AM
This reminds me that I should start using a better backup system. Right now, my "backup system" consists of a few of my important files on a USB flash drive.

Exodist
September 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM

DVD Burner FTW :-)

DavidFourer
September 5th, 2009, 06:26 AM
A 4-gig USB flash drive backs up all the files I really need. A thousand or so photos, my email, bookmarks, addressbook, and a few hundred documents. 15 minutes once a month.

I cull my photos after each upload from the camera. I Take a hundred exposures and keep 10. The rest get culled within a week. I don't think I'm a neetness freek. I just don't want to repeat the same job of reviewing a hundred photos more than once.

zipperback
September 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Blank media is VERY inexpensive.

I picked up a spindle of 100 recordable SONY DVD+R discs on sale for less than $20.00 (US Dollars) a couple of weeks ago. I see sales like this all the time around town. I generally pick up a couple of packages of them, even if I don't need them right away. It's nice knowing that they're available if I need them.

If you can't afford an second hard drive for backup purposes, perhaps you might be able to just burn your files to a data DVD every now and then. At least then you can keep a somewhat current copy of your important data.

Just a suggestion of course...

- zipperback
:popcorn:

LookTJ
September 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
You can use testdisk to recover some of your files as long as you didn't overwrite the sectors your pictures and music were in.

drawkcab
September 6th, 2009, 05:46 AM
gparted is serious business but i love using it

Mr. Picklesworth
September 6th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Valuable lesson #2: When a partition tool presents a message saying "this is really risky..." and admits its own limitations, read what that message says ;)

AlphaMack
September 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I really don't understand how you can miss this. And it even defaults to 'Cancel.'

|
V

gn2
September 6th, 2009, 09:49 AM

The nice people at Adrive.com will give you a 50gb one for free.

KIAaze
September 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM
In defense of Gparted, I must say this has never happened to me, even tough I resized the same disk at least 5 times.
Backing up everything isn't always possible, but the most important stuff can usually be backed up on a USB key (for me at least).

itreius
September 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Resizing an existing partition without doing a backup? Gg.

The Real Dave
September 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Ya, I've been partitioning alot, and never lost anything with GParted.

It took me a fried computer and a suicidal install of XP to learn my lesson on backups :( So I built a backups server, all junk parts bar the HDDs and RAID card. I mean like, this thing must be 9 or 10 years old, its got a 2Ghz PIV, 384Mb RAM and 3^320Gb SATA drives in Raid5 hooked up to a SATA controller card. Both Ubuntu and XP get monthly images to the server, and I regularly just backup files using Samba. Total cost of the server? 170 Euro, 50 for each of the HDDs and 20 for the card (second hand). Doesn't cost a whole load more than an external.

tadcan
September 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Dropbox is another way to backup. The first few gig are free.

http://www.getdropbox.com/

timjohn7
September 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Sorry about your loss (testdisk, photorec and other software may help you recover your data, as posted by others) but I think the title of your post should be "Thank you GParted, for enabling ME to erase all my files".

Don't blame excellent software for your actions while using it. It doesn't deserve a bad rep, and your post could scare the living s**t out of a newb who had been advised to try GParted.

nothingspecial
September 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Done it myself.

Nearly 20,000 flac files.

It`s not gparted`s fault.

Like my sig says linux assumes ........

But you don`t need to hear that.

killall gparted

There you go, killed it.

alienclone
September 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
The nice people at Adrive.com will give you a 50gb one for free.

+1 for ADrive.com, i use that and a Humyo.com free account as double backup.

and humyo has streaming.

Skripka
September 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
He who laughs last usually has at least 3 good backups.

tghe-retford
September 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I would suggest that backing up data to another partition, DVD or external hard disk isn't enough. If you had a fire and all your backed up stuff is in the house, you may get out with your life but all your data is lost. I would suggest a fireproof safe where your vital back-ups are kept, backing up to an online service or getting a second storage device which is off-site and can be retrieved in case of disaster which you also back-up to.

It depends on how vital that data is. Mind you, I have a right to talk. The day you plan to back up something is always the day after a bug wipes out data on other partitions (actually happened in Jaunty).

MasterNetra
September 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
+1 for Adrive

Also for smaller files you could use hotmail's skydrive. Or if its just a bunch a documents or whatever that is 10MB or less you could always zip/tar it and email it to yourself?