PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Center - Demo avaliable

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Hi guys incase you haven't noticed my project called Ubuntu Center (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=707249) its a web based control app that lets you view certain parts of your ubuntu computer on a different computer in a web based app. Anyway, I have finally got a demo up so you can kind of see how it works.

Please note, there is no video support yet.

http://snoopy.ath.cx/centerdemo
Username: demo
Password: demo

super
February 5th, 2006, 06:05 AM
hey, now!
that is really awesome! :cool:

so the idea is anybody could set one of these up on their computer and then access it from any other computer on the net?

would this be a package for an existing ubuntu box or would it be a different 'flavor' of ubuntu? (like edubuntu)

i love the idea!

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 06:08 AM
hey, now!
that is really awesome! :cool:

so the idea is anybody could set one of these up on their computer and then access it from any other computer on the net?

Glad you like it, and Yes, that is exactly its purpose but it can also be used across your network if you wanted too.

would this be a package for an existing ubuntu box or would it be a different 'flavor' of ubuntu? (like edubuntu)

i love the idea!

This will be distributed as a package, its just php files so you would just have to extract it to a directory on your apache webserver and it'll be good. This should actually run on any version of linux, but the only officially supported distros will be Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and edubuntu.

mstlyevil
February 5th, 2006, 07:17 AM
This is great. I hope you have all the success in the world in getting it up and running. (I would pay for a subcription to something like this.)

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM
This is great. I hope you have all the success in the world in getting it up and running. (I would pay for a subcription to something like this.)

Thanks. Would never charge a subscriptions for this, besides it would probably violate the GPL on the included scripts.

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 06:29 PM
sorry about the downtime the demo should be back up now.

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
That is a wonderful idea! Good luck with it :)

Thats what we need. Programmers with good ideas =)

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks. However I'm far from being a programmer ;)

raublekick
February 5th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I was pretty sceptical and unintrested when I saw the other thread about this. But this demo is really keen. I'm still kinda sceptical about how safe this is security-wise, but it looks really awesome and useful. As someone who spends a lot of time in school labs, it will be nice not to have to email myself files or use my USB thumbdrive all the time.

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I was pretty sceptical and unintrested when I saw the other thread about this. But this demo is really keen. I'm still kinda sceptical about how safe this is security-wise, but it looks really awesome and useful. As someone who spends a lot of time in school labs, it will be nice not to have to email myself files or use my USB thumbdrive all the time.

I think it will be pretty secure, it will be using the Apache HTTP Auth inorder for you to get access to any files and as long as no one brute forces it, it should be fine.

majikstreet
February 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM
awesome!! keep up the good work ;D

RaptorRaider
February 5th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Awesome, especially from a 13-year old.
Keep up the good work! :-D

This could certainly be an interesting addition to Ubuntu Server, right?

raublekick
February 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM
uh derr... i wasn't even thinking that a login is required to access this. i was thinking that anyone could get the url and get right into your system. nevermind!

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Keep up the good work! :-D

This could certainly be an interesting addition to Ubuntu Server, right?
Thanks, and actually that is my main use for this, I have a file server running Ubuntu Server that stores all of my music, pictures, and videos, using ubuntu center I will beable to listen to music during study hall and upload my files so I can work on them at home too.

uh derr... i wasn't even thinking that a login is required to access this. i was thinking that anyone could get the url and get right into your system. nevermind!
;)

------------
In other news work continues, I am currently working on the initial configuration of Ubuntu Center because right now it is pretty hairy.

curtis
February 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Sorry for the comparison but it sounds like it is going to be like Windows Media Centre, except web based :D
Keep up the good work though, that demo is a pretty good start.

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Sorry for the comparison but it sounds like it is going to be like Windows Media Centre, except web based :D
Keep up the good work though, that demo is a pretty good start.

lol yeah thats exactly what I was kind of thinking in the beginning, only Windows Media Center = Mythtv ;)

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I have just added a Upload module, check it out let me know how it looks, its in AJAX.

UbuWu
February 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Looks great! Upload/download is a bit confusing, maybe this could be combined in file transfers? And would it work with a light-weight webserver like lighttpd instead of apache as well?

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Looks great! Upload/download is a bit confusing, maybe this could be combined in file transfers?
hmmm, I'm not sure if I would want to combine them into a single module, it might actually make it more confusing. Any opinions from anyone else?

And would it work with a light-weight webserver like lighttpd instead of apache as well?
it should as long as you can install php modules which I assume you can.

majikstreet
February 5th, 2006, 11:37 PM

You are an extremely ageist person. Please _do not_ keep this attitude. This type of talk highly offends me, as I am sure it does others..

I could do this type of work if I felt like it, and I'm 12.

TTT_travis
February 5th, 2006, 11:50 PM
You are an extremely ageist person. Please _do not_ keep this attitude. This type of talk highly offends me, as I am sure it does others..

lol, yeah he may have made a generalization, however he is partly right there aren't many people that are 12 or 13 that have intrest in computers :cool:

majikstreet
February 6th, 2006, 12:01 AM
lol, yeah he may have made a generalization, however he is partly right there aren't many people that are 12 or 13 that have intrest in computers :cool:
Yes, but that is changing. Computers are being taught in school, and so is web design. Everybody I know at least knows something; how to use AIM, xanga, and myspace. Better than nothing.

I'm one of the few with a lot of knowledge and passion for computers.

EDIT: Just checked out the upload file capability.. COOL! If you really wanted to make it special, maybe you could integrate celerondude's uploader http://celerondude.com/script_uploaderv6 (WARNING: Parts are NSFW) - but you may have some issues; he's had copyright issues and has started charging for future versions... anyway, what you have is cool :)

xequence
February 6th, 2006, 12:06 AM

You are a cool 12 year old =O

TTT_travis
February 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Yes, but that is changing. Computers are being taught in school, and so is web design. Everybody I know at least knows something; how to use AIM, xanga, and myspace. Better than nothing.

I'm one of the few with a lot of knowledge and passion for computers.

EDIT: Just checked out the upload file capability.. COOL! If you really wanted to make it special, maybe you could integrate celerondude's uploader http://celerondude.com/script_uploaderv6 (WARNING: Parts are NSFW) - but you may have some issues; he's had copyright issues and has started charging for future versions... anyway, what you have is cool :)

that looks cool, however its more then I need, its user based, somebody could make it as a plugin later on, but for now I think I'll stick with the AJAX one.

majikstreet
February 6th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks... lol... I should be working on specto instead of spending my time here...

that looks cool, however its more then I need, its user based, somebody could make it as a plugin later on, but for now I think I'll stick with the AJAX one.

well, I think parts of it are AJAX.. But you're the developer! Yeah, I agree, most people don't really need it, so it'd be better as a plugin.

UbuWu
February 6th, 2006, 01:04 AM
hmmm, I'm not sure if I would want to combine them into a single module, it might actually make it more confusing. Any opinions from anyone else?

Maybe not combining them, but upload is actually both uploading and downloading to and from the computer. Maybe that could be renamed to file transfer and download to download torrents? (or can it do regular downloads as well?)

TTT_travis
February 6th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Maybe not combining them, but upload is actually both uploading and downloading to and from the computer. Maybe that could be renamed to file transfer and download to download torrents? (or can it do regular downloads as well?)

oh I get what your saying. I will have to think about that. and yes the download thing can do torrents and http download, although it probably doesn't work in the demo

WildTangent
February 6th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Wow, that uploader is just the thing I need for times when I'm at school and can't upload via FTP.

-Wild

TTT_travis
February 6th, 2006, 02:22 AM
I used ftp at my school a few times, but I think its blocked now :( , not that I can't get around that ;)

RaptorRaider
February 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM

While I can't find the word "ageist" in any online dictionary, it does not sound very positive. Positive however, my post was supposed to sound.

So why is a "Thanks... lol..." but not an "ageist"?

matid
February 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
So you're not really good at searching:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ageist ;)

majikstreet
February 6th, 2006, 09:46 PM
So you're not really good at searching:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ageist ;)
:D yeah...

@ RaptorRaider

I dunno... just whatever... let's let this go..

lordbf1
February 6th, 2006, 09:58 PM
wow that is very cool!!!!! keep up the good work!

\\lordbf1

Mathias-K
February 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Impressive! This thing could be very useful, especially for Edubuntu users :)

TTT_travis
February 6th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Impressive! This thing could be very useful, especially for Edubuntu users :)

Thanks, but just out of curiosity why is this useful for Edubuntu users? I am very intrested in education and computers.

Mathias-K
February 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks, but just out of curiosity why is this useful for Edubuntu users? I am very intrested in education and computers.

As it is now, it's very handy for students and teachers alike to be able to access school tasks and documents from home to school and the other way around. To my knowledge, Edubuntu lacks an efficient method of communications and document sharing between students and teachers.

My high school has bought a licence for Firstclass (www.firstclass.com), a program that is great for quickly spreading the word when a class is cancelled or sharing documents and assignments for homework, so that a lot of paper is spared. Unfortunately, it is not yet released for Linux.

Accessing such a "school/class-server" could really make things easier, i think. :)

TTT_travis
February 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
As it is now, it's very handy for students and teachers alike to be able to access school tasks and documents from home to school and the other way around. To my knowledge, Edubuntu lacks an efficient method of communications and document sharing between students and teachers.

My high school has bought a licence for Firstclass (www.firstclass.com), a program that is great for quickly spreading the word when a class is cancelled or sharing documents and assignments for homework, so that a lot of paper is spared. Unfortunately, it is not yet released for Linux.

Accessing such a "school/class-server" could really make things easier, i think. :)

Oh, I see.

Currently I have this installed so I can access my files at school. However, if your school runs Novell Netware they make software that allows access to your files stored on the fileserver at home. I forget what its called but its pretty decent, I should try to convince my school to get that. One of the most requested features for our schools network is a way to work on there files at home without using floppy disks to transfer the files.

WildTangent
February 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM

My school uses Firstclass too, and it's really not that useful. Our accounts are limited to 10MB, so you can't use it to transfer many documents, most teachers don't let you use the chat either. It's generally just a waste of money to be honest.

-Wild

Mathias-K
February 7th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Oh, I see.

Currently I have this installed so I can access my files at school. However, if your school runs Novell Netware they make software that allows access to your files stored on the fileserver at home. I forget what its called but its pretty decent, I should try to convince my school to get that. One of the most requested features for our schools network is a way to work on there files at home without using floppy disks to transfer the files.

Yeah, that's why it would be so cool if Edubuntu developed a nice program for Home<>School communications and transfering :)

Mathias-K
February 7th, 2006, 11:20 PM
My school uses Firstclass too, and it's really not that useful. Our accounts are limited to 10MB, so you can't use it to transfer many documents, most teachers don't let you use the chat either. It's generally just a waste of money to be honest.

-Wild

As with all software, the usefulness depends on it's use.

How many of your documents are over a couple of megabytes? We are limited to something like 15-20MB, but that's just fine.

As for the usefulness; when every student logs on about one time a day, it becomes the fastest method of reaching the whole class. Also, for those who often get their documents lost, a copy on Firstclass can be very useful :)

TTT_travis
February 8th, 2006, 03:55 AM
My space is got pretty full when I was in art from saving large photoshop documents so I had uploaded them to home and deleted them.

raublekick
February 8th, 2006, 04:10 AM
TTT_travis, most of my stuff is not stored in my home directory. Will the control center allow me to view anything that I have permission to read/write?

TTT_travis
February 8th, 2006, 05:16 AM
ok, this will probably depend on which user apache is ran by, otherwise you might have to chmod it., I am considering including a miniserver with ubuntu center to ease configuration, but still release it as a standalone script for people that want it....maybe. And you can set the folders to where you want, by default they will be set in the /home/Shared/Music /home/Shared/Photos etc. format.

I plan on releasing a beta of ubuntu center whenever I can figure out a way to configure it all. Currently you would have to enter MySQL info and a bunch of other stuff in like 3 different files. I tried using PHP variables and includes but it didn't work because the config files are not actually being formatted in php, so whatever I guess.

marcos89
April 17th, 2006, 01:18 AM
THIS SOFTWARE IS REALLY COOOOL when will there be a 0.2 releasE?? i cant wait! it would be cool if it had options to start vnc server and stuff like that, CANT WAIT!:mrgreen:

jbmalone
April 17th, 2006, 02:14 AM
My friend has this with his Windows box and I was just wondering if it would come to Ubuntu. Nice work.

_linux_
April 17th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Ubuntu Center reminds me of Workspot. But Workspot uses VNC and a Red Hat desktop.

jono.carnie
April 20th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Hi,

Does, this (http://snoopy.ath.cx/centerdemo)? Still work?
I've tried the demo/demo access details and it's not letting me on.

JC

nocturn
April 20th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Hi,

Does, this (http://snoopy.ath.cx/centerdemo)? Still work?
I've tried the demo/demo access details and it's not letting me on.

JC

Same here

unkemptwolf
April 20th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Yea, I cant do anything with it either.

basketcase
May 10th, 2006, 02:05 AM
I just logged in..I love it. I see a few issues with the styling in IE 6.0..Over all I LOVE the idea!!

Keep up the good work!!

nalmeth
May 10th, 2006, 04:08 AM
I really dig the idea. Good thinking.
I will definatly be using this soon.

PrimoTurbo
May 10th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Very nice work :)