PDA

View Full Version : My dog was put to sleep today.

metallicamike
September 5th, 2009, 03:04 AM
He was on the verge of suffering from lymphoma. He had it already and has had it for a long time. Yesterday a tumor in his mouth started bleeding and he has a bad leg. I feel great to end his suffering but I'm really going to miss him. He was my first dog and I've literally had him as long as i can remember. It was a very hard goodbye. He would have been 11 in December.

Whiffle
September 5th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Sorry to hear it :( Very similar thing happened to my sisters cat in January, we were all sad to see him go.

Irihapeti
September 5th, 2009, 03:08 AM
You have my sympathy. I've had to say good-bye to pets I've had for a long time, and I found it very hard.

Irihapeti

Gen2ly
September 5th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Sorry bro. As an animal lover I know how hard it is to lose pets. I still remember my Trouble that I saw in her last days who came up to me as enthusiastically as ever (though a little slower) like nothing was wrong. Loved that dog. Still feel I own a piece to her.

JillSwift
September 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM
May the empty sad feelings soon give way to happy memories of the fun and funny things your doggie did.

ceciliaFX
September 5th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I knew how you feel. When I lost my dog after 13 years I was sad for a long time.
I found some comfort in looking at all the photos I took of her over the years.

hanzomon4
September 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Sorry to hear that, my friend did the same 2 months ago... I really miss that dog, he had personality. What kind of dog?

magmon
September 5th, 2009, 04:29 AM
That's the problem with pets. Ive lost 2 dogs over the years. One of them was a little kick-me dog who got devoured by a greyhound, and the other was a huge yellow lab. He was a 3rd generation champion hunting dog, but he was nightblind, so we never used him for hunting.

Anyway, I feel for you.

cmay
September 5th, 2009, 04:33 AM
i am truely Sorry to hear that about you dog.

metallicamike
September 5th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Sorry to hear that, my friend did the same 2 months ago... I really miss that dog, he had personality. What kind of dog?

He was a pure bred Boxer. Very rare for them to live that long. He got a bath and a huge feast (which included lots of chocolate) and a car ride, and to be put out of his misery. All we could do for him and all he could ever ask for. I'll miss him but I know he's still here with me and doing loads better.

purgatori
September 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
So sorry :( Some of my fastest friends have been of the canine variety, and I was just devastated when they die. I still cherish their memories though, and so will you.

chucky chuckaluck
September 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
whenever i hear of someone's pet dying, i am reminded that the pain of losing them is a price well worth paying for the joy of having had them in one's life.

Wim Sturkenboom
September 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
My sympathies. I know the pain as I went through it 2 years ago. Writing this brings the tears and the sweet memories back.

cmay
September 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I had my dog for ten years now and i know how hard it will be when time comes. I only had to put one dog to sleep once and it is hard to do. my deepest sympathies goes to you and it make me feel good to know that you have had the chance to say goodbye in a good way .

best of luck to you in the future.
regards:cmay

dsavi
September 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that. :( But think of this: Your dog was put to sleep because of sickness, to end pain, and not, like my previous dog, because he/she was aggressive. (One of our neighbors seriously mistreated our dog and he became aggressive, so he had to be put to sleep.)

Hope you feel better. It's terrible to have to do that.

Viva
September 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear that. RIP:(

metallicamike
September 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks guys. I know he's in a better place, its just going to be hard to get used to the silence and the pizzacrusts :lolflag:

neu2buntu
September 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM
sorry to hear about your loss, you did the right thing by the dog.just focus on all the good times and eventually time will heal how you feel now.....

RabbitWho
September 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry :(

For a long time I forgot how painful this was with an animal, but recently i've been thinking a lot about my Cat who is 12 now and how much I'm going to miss him and how sad I'm going to be when he goes.
I'm never getting another pet ever, it's too painful, they don't live long enough and they do nothing but love.
I've already had a dog that lived to be 15 and a little kitten that only lived a few months (he was homeless and hadn't gotten his vaccinations on time) and it's just so not fair.

It's painful now but eventually you'll be able to remember all the good times you had together and think about him without feeling sad, even though you'll still miss him.

issih
September 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
You have my sympathy....losing a pet is always very painful.

Странник
September 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Sorry to hear that :(

sydbat
September 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys. I know he's in a better place, its just going to be hard to get used to the silence and the pizzacrusts :lolflag:Yes, the Hoover part is always hard to get over. Even today, 15 years after we had to put our dog to sleep, we still look for him when we drop food. :)

Also, in the intervening time, we got 2 cats, brother and sister, and had to put our boy to sleep last summer (congestive heart failure at 10 years old). It still hurts at times. Although his sister is still healthy and happy, like RabbitWho, we are trying to prepare for the inevitable in the next few years.