PDA

View Full Version : Can legal MP3 support be added to Ubuntu?

poofyhairguy
January 25th, 2005, 09:13 PM
It looks like the new real player for Linux includes MP3 support:

http://www.real.com/linux

Can this be a way for Ubuntu to make MP3 support easier? Like, make an option on the installer that says "Do you want a media player with MP3 support? *warning this is not free software and is not supported*" Then if people say yes add it?

This would make Ubuntu a little easier for those people who can't grok the wonderful Ubuntuguide.

BWF89
January 25th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Free (as in price) Linux distros can never reach the popularity of our enemies Microsoft's operating system unless we include the features of our enemies operating system...

jdodson
January 25th, 2005, 11:16 PM
mp3 playback is included in universe or multiverse i forget which, as is the flash plugin, nvidia and ati drivers(all non free).

machiner
January 26th, 2005, 01:32 AM
In light of the history of Real - I wonder -- why would someone want this pig on their machine??

Must we pollute Linux as well?

zenwhen
January 26th, 2005, 02:56 AM
In light of the history of Real - I wonder -- why would someone want this pig on their machine??

Must we pollute Linux as well?

Have you used the Linux Realplayer? It is anything but bloated and is exactly what the Windows version of Realplayer should be. =;

EdCrypt
January 26th, 2005, 03:34 AM
The problem with mp3 seems to be the patents. Here in Brazil we don't have software patents, so maybe should exist a "non-us" Ubuntu.

machiner
January 26th, 2005, 04:28 AM
You can keep it.

jdodson
January 26th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Have you used the Linux Realplayer? It is anything but bloated and is exactly what the Windows version of Realplayer should be. =;

your right on the gnu/linux version of realplayer. i ran it and was shocked. then i thought about why they removed all the bloat.

win realplayer comes with a media browser(most likely a IE API plugin) and i am sure most of the other plugins are win only because the API's they use. the gnu/linux realplayer just plays files. though one thing that would be nice for the gnu/linux version would be buffering. the win product does a good job(used it for a month before i totally switched to ubuntu).

jakeslife
January 26th, 2005, 06:16 AM
The only thing I don't like about RealPlayer is the volume thing.

nocturn
January 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM
The problem with mp3 seems to be the patents. Here in Brazil we don't have software patents, so maybe should exist a "non-us" Ubuntu.

Same here (in the EU).... I hope it lasts.

ctt1wbw
January 26th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Same here (in the EU).... I hope it lasts.

It won't. As long as there are attorneys who stand to make money from filing frivolous lawsuits on behalf of the MPAA and music industry. :-|

nocturn
January 26th, 2005, 11:07 AM
It won't. As long as there are attorneys who stand to make money from filing frivolous lawsuits on behalf of the MPAA and music industry. :-|

Yes, I'm afraid of that too. For the time being we in Europe should all thank Poland for blocking this twice!

jdodson
January 26th, 2005, 05:29 PM

actually the last time i looked the software patent thing in the EU was going pretty well.

ctt1wbw
January 26th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I heard that too. Microsoft wasn't pursuing an appeal anymore or something to that effect.

nocturn
January 27th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I heard that too. Microsoft wasn't pursuing an appeal anymore or something to that effect.

That's a completely different case. Microsoft has been convicted of unfear competition by bundling products and locking out competitors.

I has been sentenced to pay a huge fine, open up interface specifications to competitors and offer a Windows version without media player before february.

ctt1wbw
January 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Oh, I'm kind of losing track of that stuff since I started using Ubuntu... :smile: