PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation CD problems

ShokuMasterLord
September 5th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Okay, so I went to Ubuntu's website. I got the .iso from Georgia Tech. mirror. I burned it onto a 700mb CD and let the PC boot from the CD. As soon as I try to install it, it says Error Reading from Boot CD. Also, I tried wubi, but the executable starts no application.

privatejarhead
September 5th, 2009, 01:29 AM
when you downloaded the .iso, did you check your ubuntu copy's md5sum against Georgia tech's? if they dont match up exactly, that means you have a bad copy of ubuntu and you need to redownload. i suggest you download it again and check the md5sums before trying to install again.

ShokuMasterLord
September 5th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I don't already have ubuntu; I'm installing it to replace Windows. So what mirror did you get yours from?

presence1960
September 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I don't already have ubuntu; I'm installing it to replace Windows. So what mirror did you get yours from?

wherever you get it from you still need to MD5SUM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) the iso. The result must match the Ubuntu hashes exactly. if even one character is off the iso is corrupted.

I would get the iso from a torrent as the download is verified from a torrent. They hardly ever mess up like a direct download will.

I know this may seem insulting, but we are not with you to see what you have done so far...did you burn the iso as an image to CD-R or did you just make a data burn?