PDA

View Full Version : Complete noob lingo question

Jedeye
February 5th, 2006, 04:56 AM
Well I hate to ask, but I just don't get it... whats the deal with “free as in beer” b/c the things it seems to be attached to I believe are all free and beer is certainly not free... at least where I come from.

matthew
February 5th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Well I hate to ask, but I just don't get it... whats the deal with “free as in beer” b/c the things it seems to be attached to I believe are all free and beer is certainly not free... at least where I come from.It comes from those times in college (or similar) where people invite their friends to parties (at the frat house?) with the line "free beer!"

Really, it's being used to delineate between free as in monetary cost versus free as in liberty.

GreyFox503
February 5th, 2006, 05:18 AM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

mstlyevil
February 5th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Did someone say free beer? Where , where is it. I want some free beer. \\:D/

briancurtin
February 5th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Did someone say free beer? Where , where is it. I want some free beer. \\:D/
i had a few free ones earlier courtesy of my roommate

"free as in freedom" means that you have access to source code, etc. - the various freedoms you have that are associated with the product.
"free as in beer" means that the product is free of charge.

you can have software that is one of those two freedoms, both types of freedoms, or no types of freedoms. just because you got a product free of charge doesnt mean you get the source. sometimes you pay for a product and the source for it is free (i think that cedega program is like that). sometimes you pay for it, and get nothing in terms of source (ie. windows). i think you already knew that, but didnt know it in the terms of beer and such

Jedeye
February 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys... now I dont have to wonder... and dream of free beer ;)