PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How should I partition my drive?

sblunix
September 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hey everybody, I've got a 250GB HDD, and I've never made a "/home" partition before, but I heard it was really useful for reinstalling (etc, etc) so, I want to partition this 250GB HDD to 1 "home" partition, 1 "system" partition, and 1 "swap" partition? How much should each partition get allocated?

pastalavista
September 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hey everybody, I've got a 250GB HDD, and I've never made a "/home" partition before, but I heard it was really useful for reinstalling (etc, etc) so, I want to partition this 250GB HDD to 1 "home" partition, 1 "system" partition, and 1 "swap" partition? How much should each partition get allocated?

Just me, but I would create a / partition of about 50 GB, a swap partition with as much space as you have RAM (more if you plan to suspend or hibernate with several apps running) and all the rest, /home

You might want to make those 'logical' partitions inside one larger 'extended' (primary) partition in case you want to leave some room for other storage or a multi-OS system. You're only allowed 4 primary partitions max.

Vaphell
September 4th, 2009, 10:35 PM
imo 50GB for / is way too much, i got 20GB and it's 50% used after ~2 years. I don't install millions of packages for the sake of it though.