PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrading Won't Work

priya219
September 4th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hey people. I'm completely new to the whole Linux/Ubuntu thing. After Vista gave me the blue screen of doom over 10 times within a few weeks, I decided to switch. I burned the image for Ubuntu 9.04 and installed and it worked great except for the sound. Browsed a few forums and most said that downgrading to 8.04 would solve the problem. I burned the 8.04 and when I got to the main installation screen, I clicked 'Install Ubuntu' and it took me to the loading screen. The orange bar went forward and loaded all the way...and then the bar went the other way and left it black. Then the CD popped out and everything shut down. Ubuntu 9.04 still works but I really want to fix this sound problem. Any ideas about downgrading?

Yvan300
September 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Well i myself am not a fan of downgrading, but in your situation, it would be much easier to just install a fresh install of ubuntu 8.01 and just copy over your data. :)

priya219
September 4th, 2009, 10:08 PM
That's what I've been trying but after I click 'Install Ubuntu', the download bar loads fully then goes back to zero. CD pops out and everything shuts down. Ideas?

Yvan300
September 5th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Try a different version of ubuntu, download and burn the jaunty jackalope cd. Your problem may be a bug that happens in intrepid.

jrox717
September 5th, 2009, 01:59 AM
It sounds to me like the CD wasn't burned correctly. Try selecting "Test disk integrety" (or whatever the option is, in the same menu as "Install Ubuntu"). If you need to burn a new disk, burn at the slowest possible speed to minimize chance of error.