PDA

View Full Version : Backport: Kernel 2.6.10-2 from Hoary

jdong
January 25th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Synopsis
2.6.10 has been considered one of the MOST stable kernels in the 2.6 series (Kerneltrap). For me, it solves lots of ACPI and DVD burning issues. For others, it adds certain new drivers

Backporting process
In addition to the kernel, updated kernel-wedge (build tool) was backported. Later, I realized a new initrd-tools , which is coming along in the next revision.

Packaging Status
i386: Linux-image's of revision 11, Metapackage staging as of revision 13, Restricted Modules staging as of revision 14
ppc: Nope
amd64: come on, take a guess.

jdong
January 25th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Ok, Restricted modules are uploading, everything else is already in staging . I'll be testing it in a second, will report back after I reboot into this kernel.

jdong
January 25th, 2005, 11:27 PM
2.6.10-2 i386 and k7 packages confirmed fully functional for me -- including 3-D Nvidia drivers. Need to test CD burning, but it LOOKS GOOD! 8-)

nehalem
January 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Does this include better bluetooth support. The 2.6.8 included support for bluetooth but not keyboards and stuff (I have a keyboard and mouse). I believe it's called HID support. Regardless I'm going to try it :)

Thanks.

nehalem
January 26th, 2005, 06:12 PM
So installed it and everything works great .... except jedit runs quite a bit slower. It takes a while longer to refresh, scroll, etc.

I'm curious what the culprit is with it???

kleeman
January 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Any chance of a 686-smp version? (he says hopefully ;-))

jdong
January 27th, 2005, 02:25 AM
http://cloud9.homelinux.net:81/ubuntu/backports/dists/warty-backports-staging/main/binary-i386/

linux-image-2.6.10-2-686-smp_2.6.10-11_i386.deb

It's already in there.

kleeman
January 27th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Oops should have looked instead of extrapolating the i386 you mentioned. Thanks a lot!!!

jdong
January 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I use i386 in the same sense Debian uses it: Intel 32-bit x86 architecture.

faqpete
February 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hi!
Since I discovered Ubuntu Warty as a goodie in a pc-magazin I'm using this great distribution on my laptop (acer 1522wlmi). To get my IPN2200 wireless-adapter work (built in) I installed ndiswrapper with the xp-driver - works like a charm ... till I switched to Kernel 2.6.10-2 - no chance to get ndsiwrapper to work. So is it possible, to make a backport from 2.6.10-3? This may hopefully solve my problem :-? ?
Thanks for your great work, and excuse my "bad" english

faqpete

jdong
February 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM
I think Ndiswrappers will have to be recompiled for the new kernel. I'll try to get that done!

emperor
February 13th, 2005, 06:05 AM
When will the 2.6.10 kernel be released from staging?

jdong
February 13th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Everything looks good, except the ndiswrapper issues. So is that a show-stopper?

jdong
February 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
It seems as if you need to install ndiswrapper-source, and use module-assistant with kernel headers to recompile the module.

jdong
February 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Does anyone object to this kernel moving to stable? Maybe stable/bleeding?

rufius
February 15th, 2005, 03:57 AM
I would go with stable/bleeding jdong. Sounds like a place for it to be, not too much risk someone will install it unwittingly.

jdong
February 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Can someone investigate if this is affected by USN 82-1?

jdong
February 16th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Guys, I'm planning to remove this backport from the repository.

Why?

The Hoary kernel line is moving too fast. Since this backport, there's at least been 10 new kernel revisions in Hoary, all of them having something fixed. I don't want to pull a gentoo-dev-sources here in Ubuntu. I think most Gentoo will still twitch uncontrollably when they hear that a new LiveCD is in the works ;).

Does this warrant its removal for the sake of stability? Or does this warrant the kernel a spot in backports/bleeding?

Opinions/suggestions welcome.

ember
February 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Hmm .... I guess as it's in 'bleeding' there's nothing wrong about it. Anyone who likes can still stick to 2.6.8.

rufius
February 16th, 2005, 04:11 PM

Why?

The Hoary kernel line is moving too fast. Since this backport, there's at least been 10 new kernel revisions in Hoary, all of them having something fixed. I don't want to pull a gentoo-dev-sources here in Ubuntu. I think most Gentoo will still twitch uncontrollably when they hear that a new LiveCD is in the works ;).

Does this warrant its removal for the sake of stability? Or does this warrant the kernel a spot in backports/bleeding?

I'm with you on removing it, I've been watching the Hoary-devel and Ubuntu-devel mailing lists and there seems to be a lot of kernel issues being reported/mentioned.

emperor
February 17th, 2005, 10:07 PM

We "warty" guys need a kernel update from 2.6.8 to fix the ACPI and a few other issues. Please give us a backport 2.6.10 or 2.6.11 kernel solution to resolve this.

jdong
February 17th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I will backport the latest version of Kernel 2.6.10, and put it in the bleeding tree.

jdong
February 17th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Building 2.6.10-18 from Hoary.

jdong
February 17th, 2005, 10:56 PM
urg -19 just magically appeared in APT. Building that instead.

cpinto
February 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM
I'm currently using Hoary (I got an itch for the new Gnome 2.10 :) ) and I must say that the kernel is a bit messed up. I've got some serious issues with nvidia-3d acceleration (simply doesn't work) so if I were you I'd only backport the kernel and no restricted modules whatsoever.

An alternative is to compile the nvidia kernel driver from warty against this new kernel.

jdong
February 21st, 2005, 09:48 PM
I'm currently using the 2.6.10-4-19 k7 kernel in Hoary. 3d accel works great with my Nvidia card, and so does everything else. This is the currently staging kernel.

So, it seems like all works except:

============
* Ndiswrapper -- possible issue? It's currently built as a module. May need newer userland utils?
*Security -- some sort of minor FS sign checking bug. Need to further investigate.

I think we're closing in on a promote.

keeee
February 23rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Ndiswrapper still doesn't work with ndiswrapper 1.0 (I've compiled the source from ndiswrapper.sf.net) + kernel 2.6.10 from staging. It still gives a "not permitted" error when trying to modprobe ndiswrapper :/

jdong
February 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Does dmesg give any more hints?

keeee
February 23rd, 2005, 11:47 PM
Nope :/
This message is repeated six times:

ndiswrapper version 1.0rc2 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:1494): loadndiswrapper failed (59904); check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'

I can't see any more interesting logs here mate, it does seam that the kernel version is 1.0rc2 instead of version 0.10 of the user-utils.

keeee
February 24th, 2005, 12:07 AM
I got it working mates! I'm typing this from my laptop using kernel 2.6.10 and my linksys wlan card ;) It seems it's just a problem with the user-level tools I guess.
What I did:

1) Removed (purged) the old ndiswrapper from ubuntu (v 0.10)
2) Added deb http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/debian ./ to my apt sources and
3) Installed ndiswrapper-source (v 1.0)
4) Make && Make install @ modules/ndiswrapper/driver
5) Make && Make install @ modules/ndiswrapper/utils
6) Add the right .INF file and modprobe ndiswrapper
7) Works like a charm :)
source: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
source: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Installation

From the ndiswrapper wiki: "This should compile and install both the kernel module and the userspace utilities." It seems like it indeed installed a new ndiswrapper module, syslog says "ndiswrapper 1.0" is loaded instead of the "ndiswrapper 1.0rc2" that couldn't load before.
Maybe apply these patches @ the ubuntu backport kernel + backport ndiswrapper-utils? That's my best bet.

jdong
February 24th, 2005, 02:45 AM
I'll make a backport of ndiswrapper 1.0, as that seems to fix it.

faqpete
February 26th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Thx jdong! Hope it works for me too ;-)