PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing post by Linus Torvalds about GNOME

deavik
February 5th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I have just started using Ubuntu (and Linux!) and I like it a lot, but cannot help saying that GNOME seems a little sluggish. So I started looking at what other desktops were like, and I came across this:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html

Even though I said I find GNOME a little slow, I like it a lot. Maye if someone has used (or uses) both desktops GNOME and KDE and maybe even others like XFCE and ICEWM can throw in a few pros and cons of each in terms of speed, usability and the rest. Since I have used only GNOME, I'll start things off with it.

Pros:
1. Good looking UI
2. Easy to use

Cons:
1. A little sluggish (uses ~100mb of my 256mb RAM with nothing running)
2. Linus Torvalds' statement.

Adrenal
February 5th, 2006, 03:07 AM
If you like gnome, but want something faster, you should give xfce a try

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I have just started using Ubuntu (and Linux!) and I like it a lot, but cannot help saying that GNOME seems a little sluggish. So I started looking at what other desktops were like, and I came across this:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html

Even though I said I find GNOME a little slow, I like it a lot. Maye if someone has used (or uses) both desktops GNOME and KDE and maybe even others like XFCE and ICEWM can throw in a few pros and cons of each in terms of speed, usability and the rest. Since I have used only GNOME, I'll start things off with it.

Pros:
1. Good looking UI
2. Easy to use

Cons:
1. A little sluggish (uses ~100mb of my 256mb RAM with nothing running)
2. Linus Torvalds' statement. Ignore Torvalds on this count. Use whichever you like. Try other options, like XFCE or Fluxbox! Personally, I dislike KDE as it stands.

Paulus
February 5th, 2006, 03:18 AM
hehe, i'd never seen what the quote was in reply to, pretty funny :)

I've personally found gnome faster :o It's the only WM i've found that redraws resizing/manipulating windows plesantly fast. even e17 has annoying lag when resizing, really bugs me.

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Ive never been a fan of Linus.

Qrk
February 5th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I give him a break. The fact that he's a top programmer makes his desktop needs vastly different from ours.

Besides, Linux has little to do with Gnome and Gnome has little to do with Linux. Gnome runs on other unixes and Linux runs other desktops.

gord
February 5th, 2006, 03:48 AM
i don't think we all need to get into the same discusion for the millionth time again

DigitalDuality
February 5th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Ya know, i am forever greatful to the work of Linus, and respect the man in a ton of ways.

I also respect Mark Shuttleworth a great deal.. and share parts of both his and Linus's vision (though without as much in depth knowledge)..

But the thing that does annoy me a great deal is how people hang on every word they say. The entire purpose of Linux is freedom. The entire point is choice. To do with it as you damned well please.. and those that follow these two around like little lost puppy dogs kind of remind me of how Marilyn Manson screams "individualism, be yourself" yet 10,000 kids dress up and try to act just like him. It's just a bit too idolistic for me and entirely missing the point.

zenwhen
February 5th, 2006, 04:22 AM
This is old and has been discussed time and time again. There is no need for another thread on the topic.

bored2k
February 5th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I don't see why anything Torvalds say should be using as a "Gnome con". Bill Gates, who has more power than him (far more) has been telling us for decades how bad and unhealthy the non-Microsoft world is, and quite frankly, I don't see myself saying "Jeez, the big guy is right, I will buy his software, lick his feet and whatever else he wants me to."