PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installing new disk is too fast

aic
September 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I'm installing a 1.5TB disk in my Hardy system. I was expecting to spend hours formatting and testing the drive. But when I formatted with a GParted live CD, it took about 10 minutes. And to check the disk integrity, I booted into Hardy and typed "sudo fsck -a /dev/sdb1", which took about 10 seconds.

There are no files on this drive yet. I have to think I'm doing something wrong here. Any guidance?

fatbotgw
September 4th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I am by no means an expert, but for a brand new empty drive that sounds about right to me. Since there are no files to check the integrity of the fsck should go pretty quick.

oldos2er
September 4th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I'm installing a 1.5TB disk in my Hardy system. I was expecting to spend hours formatting and testing the drive. But when I formatted with a GParted live CD, it took about 10 minutes. And to check the disk integrity, I booted into Hardy and typed "sudo fsck -a /dev/sdb1", which took about 10 seconds.

There are no files on this drive yet. I have to think I'm doing something wrong here. Any guidance?

You created one large partition...? Using which filesystem, ext4, or something else?

I switched my partitions to ext4 some time ago, and fsck does run faster now than it did on ext3.

Barijazz
September 4th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Since fsck is a File System Checker and not a physical disk integrity checker, that sounds about right for a clean disk; there aren't any files to sift through. fsck on my 16GB ext3 SD card is instantaneous, and I have several gigs used.

aic
September 4th, 2009, 04:22 AM
You created one large partition...? Using which filesystem, ext4, or something else?

I switched my partitions to ext4 some time ago, and fsck does run faster now than it did on ext3.
Yes. One ext3 partition. This is a file server that has used up its 250GB drive, so I'm moving the home partition to the new 1.5TB drive.

aic
September 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I think I may have figured it out. I typed
sudo umount /dev/sdb1
sudo e2fsck -c -p /dev/sdb1and the disk started cranking for several minutes. I left it running and I'll check it tomorrow.

aic
September 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I think it worked. I came back to:
/dev/sdb1: Updating bad block inode.
/dev/sdb1: 11/91578368 files (9.1% non-contiguous), 2936465/366284000 blocks