PDA

View Full Version : Is UF your only connection to the Linux world?

stuart.reinke
September 4th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Is there anyone in the same situation as me out there?

I live in a rural area, and the only connection I have to other Linux users is through UF.

In fact most of the people I spend time with can turn on their computer and get on the internet, and that's about it.#-o

Any way I just want to express my appreciation to the people who make this forum possible. It would be a lonely computing experience without you.:D

#11u-max
September 4th, 2009, 01:32 AM
i know ONE [1] <- READ IT, O-N-E other linux user and it's only because they let me WUBI their netbook. he likes ubuntu better than windows now! i feel sucessful now...

stuart.reinke
September 4th, 2009, 01:41 AM
i know ONE [1] <- READ IT, O-N-E other linux user and it's only because they let me WUBI their netbook. he likes ubuntu better than windows now! i feel sucessful now...

Wow! You personally know twice as many Linux users as me.:D

gn2
September 4th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I work for a major UK national public transport company and I know of a few people in the company who use Linux at home.
Linux isn't used on any of our work IT equipment :(

Tipped OuT
September 4th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Yes.

t0p
September 4th, 2009, 01:46 AM
UF, Slashdot, Usenet, and a few other sites: that's my Linux world. But I don't mind. Real life is overrated anyway...

Tipped OuT
September 4th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Real life is overrated anyway...

:-|

Giant Speck
September 4th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Not entirely. I have some friends in real life and friends on non-tech-related web forums that are Linux users.

Marlonsm
September 4th, 2009, 02:04 AM
It's mostly UF for me, but there are some other sites.
Outside the internet I know very few people who use Linux.

hockeytux
September 4th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Nope. My wife runs Xubuntu on her laptop :P

munky99999
September 4th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Well I have 4chan /g/ I have dslreports. I have many other places for linux. IRL I have had linux friends before ubuntu even started up. Though I never started with linux back then. More recently I have met people who are linux users. 1 friend I see everyday has been using slackware since 1995.

Warpnow
September 4th, 2009, 02:20 AM
The linux friends I have used linux because I made them try it.

Tipped OuT
September 4th, 2009, 02:51 AM
The linux friends I have used linux because I made them try it.

Muahahahahha. :twisted:

Hogosha
September 4th, 2009, 02:55 AM
i have two friends that use linux, one of which is over often and we tinker with it to get it customized (most of the time that involves one of us coming up with an idea and then we both search these forums to see if its been done) and one who i talk to on aim. There are a lot of people on my campus that i have seen using linux though. I wonder if there is a club...

zeroseven0183
September 4th, 2009, 03:00 AM
No. There are a lot of options out there like blogs, online magazines, forums. But Ubuntu Forums is the best. People here are very accommodating despite of diversity.

bear24rw
September 4th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I only know a few other linux users in RL..

chessnerd
September 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Yeah, pretty much. In high school there were a couple of people who had used Linux before that I talked to a bit, but they weren't hard-core users. I hope to find some more people now that I'm in college, but there isn't any kind of Linux group on campus (in fact, I can't even find one computer group...). One of the people in my dorm uses Linux as his main OS, so if I have a problem I could go to him, but until a couple weeks ago I didn't really know anyone in real life that used Linux on a regular basis.

Irihapeti
September 4th, 2009, 05:07 AM
It's not my only one, but one of the main ones. Sure, I have a family, some of whom use Ubuntu, but they depend on me for major troubleshooting. There's a local LUG; I've attended one meeting and I have yet to see how much I have in common with the other members.

The only other forum where I do much posting is the Puppy forums. I got involved in a project there last year so I'm still maintaining a few packages. Of course, there are heaps of other websites to read; I do a lot more lurking than reading.

SacValleyDweller
September 4th, 2009, 05:43 AM
A few classmates/friends use Ubuntu. The one who introduced me to it, was my go to guy for help with getting it to do what I wanted, but he's less available due to his non-school life falling apart in places.

Hopefully hanging around here on the Internet will help my Ubuntu literecy.

Exodist
September 4th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Is there anyone in the same situation as me out there?

I live in a rural area, and the only connection I have to other Linux users is through UF.

In fact most of the people I spend time with can turn on their computer and get on the internet, and that's about it.#-o

Any way I just want to express my appreciation to the people who make this forum possible. It would be a lonely computing experience without you.:D

Yea I live in North Mississippi here. Hard to find real linux users. Most anyone here uses windows because they are dumb as a knot on a log.
I am getting two friends to convert, but I will have to teach them and its not the same as having others of equal *nix knowledge to talk to.

tylerspaska
September 4th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I use Linux at work, along with most of my coworkers. I know several full and/or part time "at home" Linux users. When I was in college the number of users I knew was much higher, and I wasn't in a computer related field. I'm the only one who uses Ubuntu. I think everyone else thinks it's too dumbed down.

PurposeOfReason
September 4th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I'm a CS major so I know a lot of linux users. :)

RiceMonster
September 4th, 2009, 07:05 AM
My dad uses Ubuntu.

I also have another friend who uses Ubuntu, one who uses Slackware and another who uses Gentoo. So no.

Viva
September 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
groklaw, slashdot, debian forums, IRC

chriskin
September 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
i know at least 10 people that use ubuntu on their pcs or laptops (and one that uses sabayon)

i also have 19 linux related feeds and 3 technology related ones (that usually pop up something about linux every week)

xpod
September 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Besides myself, the children, my lads IT teacher and the couple of old women who have Ubuntu installed because of me i dont know any other Linux users.

EDIT:I take the "old women" part back.What i actually meant is oldER women

t0p
September 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Of course, there are heaps of other websites to read; I do a lot more lurking than reading.

Can you explain what this means please? (According to my version of English, lurking is reading.)

Bucky Ball
September 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
My wife loves Ubuntu too. I'd been thinking about Linux and her brother gave me the final shove a couple of years ago (but we don't actually 'see' him anymore as he lives overseas). He's used Debian for years and refuses to touch Windows! It used to be just the forums but I have been slowly creating my own diasporic Ubuntu community in the flesh by being a Linux user, talking to people about it, helping install it on people's computers. I have three friends using it now and my mother-in-law who I see a couple of times a year.

:) :) :) :) :)

One for each new user I know in the flesh since I started using Ubuntu! And over the last couple of weeks three other friends have asked me how they try it . The beat goes on ...

Bucky Ball
September 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Can you explain what this means please? (According to my version of English, lurking is reading.)

Nothing of the sort.

1. To lie hidden; to lie in wait.
2. To keep out of sight.
[1913 Webster]

lurking
adj 1: concealed and unsuspected; "lurking dangers"; "search for
lurking ambiguities"
2: marked by quiet and caution and secrecy; taking pains to
avoid being observed; "a furtive manner"; "a lurking
prowler"; "a sneak attack"; "stealthy footsteps"; "a
surreptitious glance at his watch"; "someone skulking in
the shadows" [syn: furtive, skulking, sneak(a), sneaky,
stealthy, surreptitious]

xpod
September 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Nothing of the sort.

1. To lie hidden; to lie in wait.
2. To keep out of sight.
[1913 Webster]

lurking
adj 1: concealed and unsuspected; "lurking dangers"; "search for
lurking ambiguities"
2: marked by quiet and caution and secrecy; taking pains to
avoid being observed; "a furtive manner"; "a lurking
prowler"; "a sneak attack"; "stealthy footsteps"; "a
surreptitious glance at his watch"; "someone skulking in
the shadows" [syn: furtive, skulking, sneak(a), sneaky,
stealthy, surreptitious]

To be fair, the actual meaning has evolved a bit in recent years.

3 : to read messages on an Internet discussion forum (as a newsgroup or chat room) without contributing

http://mw1.m-w.com/dictionary/lurking

kirsis
September 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Use Linux at work (and a few coworkers use it too) and at home.

At home I got my girlfriend to use it (though she's on OSX now) and I got my brother and mother to use Ubuntu too (bro for his file storage server and mum for everyday tasks).

+ 1 very good friend who started using Linux at the same time I did, so we sorta learned about it together.

+ Phoronix/slashdot/Planet Gnome

Irihapeti
September 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM

It means I made a mistake. :oops: I meant to say "posting", not "reading". Your version of English is absolutely right. (I'll blame it all on not enough sleep.)

toejamfootball
September 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I know 2 other people who use Linux, one is on Ubuntu and one Debian. One of the Cello players in one of my string ensembles uses Debian. When I found out the other week we chatted about it for a while, was awesome :D

dsavi
September 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I know this LinuxMint fan that's in Estonia right now, my brother is also a big fan of Ubuntu, got him to switch completely from XP. (From my point of view that's not saying much.) My dad also uses Linux on his servers, I know several people on other forums that use Linux too.

Totalknowledge
September 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I know a lot of people that use Linux. I have personally since around 1994, the year my oldest daughter was born.

I have run Linux user groups, gone to conventions, and read many forums. I am completely new to Ubuntu having just installed it on one of my hard drives yesterday. I somehow let my usage of Linux fall off over the years, and am reacquainting myself with it. I blame blizzard. I have read however that a lot of people have had luck getting it to work under wine, so I though I would check it out.

nothingspecial
September 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Apart from the wife and kids, only the damned idiot who gave this thing to me in the first place.....

.....oh and his wife and kids too.

ericmc783
September 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM

To hell with rural living, it sucks. (unless you want to farm for a living).

Anyway, I work at an IT-related company, and know several peeps who use Linux based OS'. Thank God. I am in the city, where things are diverse. No longer suffering the country life where everyone is closed-minded...

Bucky Ball
September 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
To be fair, the actual meaning has evolved a bit in recent years.

Quote:
3 : to read messages on an Internet discussion forum (as a newsgroup or chat room) without contributing Haha, what do you think that is? Lurking! Hiding in the shadows, observing but not getting involved. Hide in the corridor but never enter the room. Sheesh. What dictionary did you get that from anyhow?

hetx
September 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Oh yes, [it] (the name must not be spoken) works quite well under Linux/WINE

Personally I have not met a single other Linux user for the year I've used it, until I joined the Computer Society on Lund University this week. Friendly bunch.

As I'm getting used to classes I'm gonna try more and more to become involved, say Ubuntu LoCo-teams or the kind. I have a bunch of ideas/projects that I'll use my spare time on. (including teaching ubuntu for beginner's/interested people and learning more about the possibilities of starting a company that helps small/mid sized companies to make the transition into open source.)

If anyone is interested in this or has advice, I'd love to hear from you! PM please! This post is just a spontaneous thing, I'll make proper posts later :)

To me it's scary that I'm pretty much the only guy in my class that doesn't use Word and that the teacher mentions Unix but not Linux as "other existing" operating systems.

Bucky Ball
September 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
To me it's scary that I'm pretty much the only guy in my class that doesn't use Word and that the teacher mentions Unix but not Linux as "other existing" operating systems.

I find it scary how much my university spends on licensing MS. They have just swept the university with their Desktop Excellence program; Vista on all new machines!!! Asking for trouble if you ask me. Ignorance is bliss ... even in a university.

And yes, surrounded by students weaned on Windows and Mac who have barely heard of Linux, let alone Ubuntu.

Nevon
September 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Same here. I just started studying systems science (yeah, that's what they call it) at Luleå University of Technology, and out of the ~25 people in my class, I have so far only found two people (besides me) who use Linux. All the instructions for classes have been for Windows (although the Java teacher mentioned Mac once), and we are asked to submit our reports as .doc files.

I think I might look into the computer society at my university.

chriskin
September 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I find it scary how much my university spends on licensing MS. They have just swept the university with their Desktop Excellence program; Vista on all new machines!!! Asking for trouble if you ask me. Ignorance is bliss ... even in a university.

And yes, surrounded by students weaned on Windows and Mac who have barely heard of Linux, let alone Ubuntu.

in greece universities are giving all microsoft applications for free but most labs with computers running on ubuntu or solaris

i don't know if that's better or worse than having vista on the university's machines

Bucky Ball
September 4th, 2009, 03:24 PM
When money could be spent on more worthwhile facilities (not to mention research) that's bad. When computers that are used in a library for people to surf the net and look up the library catalogue and that's it are running purchased and licensed software, that's bad (we are talking a LOT of computers here). The list goes on but I'm getting tired and should get a little more study in before bed ... :)

Eisenwinter
September 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I've met only one single Linux user IRL, and he was an American on tour anyway.

PuddingKnife
September 4th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I've gotten many of my friends to swtich to Ubuntu, so I have quite a few RL connections to linux.

The Real Dave
September 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Ahm, kinda ya, my family all use Linux, but other than that, there's only two people that I know that use or know Linux, one of them being my IT teacher in school.

I do know however that the school server runs some version of SUSE, controling the hundred or so computers in my school.

HappinessNow
September 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Where I currently live I have met one Linux user, he uses Ubuntu and also test for Windows 7 but has never used BSD, Sun Solaris, Haiku etc.

Only Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

longtom
September 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I am pretty isolated here as well.

The only people using Linux are those I set up a PC for, and those can not afford any MS products and so don't have much of a choice.

My kids are dabbling with it - but some of the favourite games are not running in Linux.
However, they use Open Office for their school projects - so they are at least aware of available alternatives and Open Source.

As far as a mentor is concerned to which I can talk, tap his/her brain, get new ideas - I guess you guys have to do - and you are doin' just fine.

cmay
September 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I am the only Linux user in Denmark besides my brother. so off course i never seen a other living soul besides him use linux or an alternative such as MINIX or even just solaris .
But i look forward to everyday i can meet other linux and bsd users online so i wont be feeling all lonely here in my little home in Denmark.

i do however use other forums where linux is one of the OS commonly used much than i use the ubuntu forums by now. but i still check up on the UF from time to time. :)

longtom
September 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I am the only Linux user in Denmark besides my brother.

That - is a bold statement - and not true...

http://www.klid.dk/english/

http://www.linux.org/groups/denmark.html

etc etc...

get out there - in denmark most of the people are walking or swimming distance...

but you were joking, of course....

twright
September 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Mostly UF, blogs, various other sites and my family running Ubuntu.

cmay
September 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
That - is a bold statement - and not true...

http://www.klid.dk/english/

http://www.linux.org/groups/denmark.html

etc etc...

get out there - in denmark most of the people are walking or swimming distance...

but you were joking, of course....
got me there :) I admit was joking. but thanks for the links. i did not know of the second one one of them .