PDA

View Full Version : OSx86 / Ubuntu : Dual Boot

damonjablons
September 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'm going to buy a new laptop in the next couple of weeks (since mine was stolen) and I'm strictly an Ubuntu user. I used to use Windows to run Protools and Ableton (music software).

These days, I'm thinking about running OS X on the machine as a second OS because it seems to handle that software better.

Buying a Mac laptop is prohibitively expensive, so I'd rather buy a customized Dell or a laptop from another vendor.

Are there any hardware concerns or suggestions for getting a laptop which is able to do this? I'd like to get a dual-core with 8GB or ram, and I want to keep my screen size down to 15-inch.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

:KS

privatejarhead
September 3rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
8gb of ram...gosh that's expensive for a laptop.

anyways, ubuntu shouldn't have much problems with whatever hardware you use, unless it has one of those troublesome wireless cards or such. i use a toshiba satellite and ubuntu runs fine, except that i have a little bit of trouble with the fan...

as for your chosen hackintosh system, check with them since i dont know anything about what they need other than the x86 chip (hence the name...).