PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Do I have to scrub Ubuntu to acceptably dual boot

oake
September 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hi
I am trying to dual boot my machine starting from an up to date Ubuntu install. I want to end up with XP running from a c:\, but following apcmag** and on route there's a paragraph (below), found it result in an f:\

I guess, unless there is a partition editor trick? so XP installs onto what it thinks is a c: drive, I'll be scrubbing the whole disk.
Thanks for your consideration

**http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm#
For the operating system and the vast majority of Windows applications which have properly-coded installation scripts, this is not a problem. Some older applications will assume that C: is the system partition and may bring up errors. There are ways of changing the drive letter assignation of the system partition, but in this scenario it's strongly discouraged.

fatbotgw
September 4th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I believe you can use gParted (from a live disk) to move the ubuntu partition to the "end" of the drive so that all of the free space shows up to the left (in gparted) of the linux install. You should then be able to install Windows into the free space at the "beginning" of the drive...which is what Windows likes.

It should be the "resize/move..." option

oldos2er
September 4th, 2009, 03:30 AM
The usual advice given here on the forums is the opposite of what that article says; i.e. you would install Windows first, then Ubuntu. FWIW.