PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install using flash drive?

Kealan124
September 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hello, could somebody please help me? I have tried looking on Google, but all I can find are ways to install it TO a flash drive. My grandmother's computer runs Windows XP right now, but my aunt managed to get it a nasty case of adware. She asked me to fix it, and I decided to just wipe everything and re-install her OS. Her CD drive is broken, so I cannot re-install Windows XP using her CD, or simply burn a copy of the Ubuntu install.

I found a guide online to install Windows XP using a flash drive, but you need a retail copy to do that (all I have is the re-installation copy that came with her computer). Since she doesn't need it to do anything but email and a few basic games (things such as Solitare, ect), I decided that it wasn't worth spending over $100 to get a CD to fix it. I was wondering how one would go about installing it with a flash drive, rather than a burnable CD. I tried with the XP CD, before I knew it had to be a retail copy, but I did not fully comprehend what the instructions were having me do. Because of that, I am not really sure how to modify the method to work with Ubuntu.

Sorry if there is already a guide to this somewhere, but I was unable to find one.

Mighty_Joe
September 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Download unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). It will download and install a live CD image to a USB flash drive from Windows or Linux.
There are other methods but this is the simplest.