PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can you upgrade an (K)Ubuntu install you're not currently running?

Ubuntiac
September 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
I have two installs of Kubuntu. A 9.04 one which works perfectly, and a 9.10 one which had wireless stop working. Without wireless I'm having trouble updating it to fix the problem.

So is there a way to upgrade my 9.10 install from my install of 9.04?

Prize: 1 bag of virtual :popcorn: to the first correct answer! ;)

lykwydchykyn
September 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yes.

- mount the root partition of the non-functional install in a folder on the functional one.
- change to that directory in Konsole
- mount proc and sys:

mount --bind /proc proc
mount --bind /sys sys

- chroot into the current directory

sudo chroot .

- run your favorite command-line update utility (apt-get/aptitude)
- Exit by typing 'exit'

Now, where's my can'o'corn?

Ubuntiac
September 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Mindblowing. I honestly wasn't expecting to get any reasonably sane answer to this question. Is it likely to be a problem that 9.10 is running on EXT4 and 9.04 is running on EXT3?

Oh, and by the way....

:popcorn:

Enjoy! ;)

lykwydchykyn
September 4th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Mindblowing. I honestly wasn't expecting to get any reasonably sane answer to this question. Is it likely to be a problem that 9.10 is running on EXT4 and 9.04 is running on EXT3?

shouldn't matter; as long as 9.04 can mount the filesystem (9.04 supports ext4, so that shouldn't be a problem).

Oh, and by the way....

:popcorn:

Enjoy! ;)

Yummy!

By the way, you can also do this from a liveCD. I had to do this once or twice back in the day when an upgrade went wrong.

Ubuntiac
September 4th, 2009, 05:26 AM
By the way, you can also do this from a liveCD. I had to do this once or twice back in the day when an upgrade went wrong.

Nice! Thanks again.