PDA

View Full Version : about to buy a smartphone, what os do you propose?

chriskin
September 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
i was thinking about an android-based one, but android has too few apps yet.

what os should i go after?

madjr
September 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
go for webOS, Maemo or Android

chriskin
September 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
go for webOS, Maemo or Android

which one though? :)

Johnsie
September 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Windows Mobile is pretty good in terms of the number of free apps you an get.

chriskin
September 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Windows Mobile is pretty good

does it have many apps though?
and is it faster than it's desktop counterpart? hehe

Johnsie
September 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

Look at the genres menu on the left.

I cant comment on the speed, I guess it depends how fast your desktop pc is and you have to bear in mind that a phone does not have the same processing capabilities as a PC... so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges :-)

chriskin
September 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

Look at the genres menu on the left.

I cant comment on the speed, I guess it depends how fast your desktop pc is and you have to bear in mind that a phone does not have the same processing capabilities as a PC... so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges :-)

what i said was the way windows for pcs is slower than it should be , windows for mobiles might be slow as well

by the way, what about symbian?it seems they have about 50% of the marketshare, so there might be some nice apps out there. i'll go check out now

Whiffle
September 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Who cares about number of apps? Which one has the apps you want to use?

chriskin
September 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Who cares about number of apps? Which one has the apps you want to use?

if there are many, i would like some of them :P
or not?

so, changing the question, are there any good quality apps for symbian that you know? or any other os in that matter?

Johnsie
September 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
The speed issue is an important issue with smartphones... I've seen alot of smartphones that have bloatware on them. It takes longer to do simple things like dialing etc on many smartphones. For example, often on a touch screen phone you need to load the touch screen dialer just to dial a number. On non-smart phones you can just punch the number in straight away or use a scroll key to scroll through the numbers.

Non-smart phones can do almost anything a smartphone can do... email, calendar, apps etc and sometimes they do it more efficiently.

RaZe42
September 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I's say no to symbian even if my own phone is S60-based.

My vote goes to the Nokia N900, running Maemo 5. It'll be released in October for 500 € pre-tax.

Check out some videos, it's really awesome!

Paqman
September 3rd, 2009, 02:37 PM

There's a truckload of them in the App Market. Remember you only see all the apps if you're browsing on an Android phone, the ones shown on the Android site are just a selection of some popular ones.

keiichidono
September 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM

what os should i go after?

What a stupid question! You didn't list what you'll be using the phone for, what you like, or what carriers are available in your area. RTFM. Linguistic survey reference

Whiffle
September 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm just speaking from my experiences. My centro runs PalmOS, and there are literally *thousands* of apps for it. Some of them absolutely suck, but there are a bunch that absolutely rock. I can press 1 button to dial my gf, and dialing any other number I can use either the touchscreen (almost never), or the keyboard. Access to my calender and task list is easy too.

If it were me looking for a new phone, I'd probably try to come up with a list of the kinds of things I want to do on a phone, and check out apps for the various platforms for that purpose.

Or just pick a phone thats shiny and use it :-P

aysiu
September 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
The number of apps doesn't matter. It's whether it has the apps you want.

I happen to like Google Voice a lot. And Android has that.

The iPhone does not.

chriskin
September 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
There's a truckload of them in the App Market. Remember you only see all the apps if you're browsing on an Android phone, the ones shown on the Android site are just a selection of some popular ones.

yes i just found that online - i thought that there would only be the ones that are on the site (didn't see the sign above)
i will most probably go for an android one if they are as good as they seem, i have fallen in love with HTC's dream and magic

hanzomon4
September 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Double Post

hanzomon4
September 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I like the N900 the hardware is great and maemo 5(linux based) looks fantastic. I say Maemo, but the Pre is also nice, however I think that Android will have more apps then the Pre.

So My hat goes to N900 (Maemo)

Mateo
September 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
How does the Android have too few apps? I'm fairly certain the number is in the tens of thousands, that's not enough? And if it is, the iPhone is the only to have more apps than that, so you already know your answer.

chriskin
September 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
How does the Android have too few apps? I'm fairly certain the number is in the tens of thousands, that's not enough? And if it is, the iPhone is the only to have more apps than that, so you already know your answer.

i answered to that above, i though that android had only the apps shown at the site
i was proven wrong on that one

excuse me but i'm Very new to this whole thing

Mateo
September 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
yes i just found that online - i thought that there would only be the ones that are on the site (didn't see the sign above)
i will most probably go for an android one if they are as good as they seem, i have fallen in love with HTC's dream and magic

Palm Pre is far more usable, but it's app count is sparse at this point.

RaZe42
September 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM

I'm quite sure you're wrong. Symbian(S60) has *really* many programs (apps...I don't like the word), even if they're not as easily available.

Windows Mobile supposedly(correct?) also has lots and lots of programs.

But then, it's not about quality, but quantity. ....Ummm, what?

But the good thing about Maemo is that you can run many "Desktop Linux" programs on it, it's just a matter of making them run on ARM.

madjr
September 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Palm Pre is far more usable, but it's app count is sparse at this point.

most palmOS apps are being ported to webOS, but at the same time to android(and even moblin) since the ecosystem are very similar.

android came out first so it should have lots more apps, however webOS is catching up

i would go with either 1, just depends on the phone/carrier you like.

But the good thing about Maemo is that you can run many "Desktop Linux" programs on it, it's just a matter of making them run on ARM.

yes, maemo rules, is based on debian with a great interface

Windows Mobile supposedly(correct?) also has lots and lots of programs.

yea and lots of malware

konqueror7
September 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The speed issue is an important issue with smartphones... I've seen alot of smartphones that have bloatware on them. It takes longer to do simple things like dialing etc on many smartphones. For example, often on a touch screen phone you need to load the touch screen dialer just to dial a number. On non-smart phones you can just punch the number in straight away or use a scroll key to scroll through the numbers.

Non-smart phones can do almost anything a smartphone can do... email, calendar, apps etc and sometimes they do it more efficiently.

i completely agree. if you don't need it, don't buy it! :D