PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install help please

AlonsoH
September 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hey everyone,

My name is Alonso, I recently got a new netbook (HP Mini 5101) and was really jazzed up about trying Ubuntu for the first time (complete noob). I have been trying to install UNR all day today to no avail. It gets to the screen where I can pick to install, check CD, etc but anytime I choose an option I get a screen full of letters and numbers and it does not progress. I checked the md5dSum (?) values with the program that Ubuntu provides and it checked out fine. I thought maybe it was the provided disk imaging software (Win32diskimager) so I tried a new one, it did not work either. I then tried with the normal desktop version using Unetbootin but that also failed. I got a live boot and then installed the OS but when I tried to boot up my laptop I got the same letters. Currently I'm making a boot USB with Unetbootin for version 8.10 and hoping it will work. If I missed a step or if anyone has a suggestion I could really use the help.

Thanks,
Alonso

utnubuuser
September 3rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Do you have a Nvidea graphics card by any chance?

I'm asking because of the final response in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7864010#post7864010

AlonsoH
September 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
I checked the specs, says it an Intel 950

AlonsoH
September 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Update:

I managed to get 8.10 to work on the laptop using Unetbootin. My question now is, if I want UNR. Should I try updating to 9.04 within 8.10, and then getting the UNR update?