PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Free More space for Ubuntu?

rahulbaba
September 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Hello guys,

Now the thing is I have a new dell machine with just one big C of 250 GB

When I Installed Ubuntu using the CD I didnt partition anything but it got installed in my C under the folder Ubuntu,

Now whenever I try to install something in it it says No free space so how do I free more space?

I mean I just have 1 partition not two secondly I am a noob in Linux so It would be good if you guys can help me as I seriously wish to ditch windows for Ubuntu in the coming months and a reply would really accelerate my growth in that part.

Thanks in advance guys

ASh

fletcher08
September 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Sorry I can't help you with your immediate problem. I do wish to second the question.

I want to move to Ubuntu only. I am making backups of my files and everything I need. Then I am going to uninstall everything I do not need in windows (mainly games and apps). I got Ubuntu from a Wubi install, and I have the program to move it to a dedicated partition. I just need to figure out which partition is empty, so that I do not write over stuff. (Wubi created the partitions, so I am not sure which are in use.)

But after all that, I will probably need to give Ubuntu more space, so that I can load all of my files, music, videos, etc. onto it.

Good question and I hope you do not mind me piggy-backing on it. I want to know the same thing.

drs305
September 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
rahulbaba,

It sounds like you are using a wubi install. The wubi install is a file inside of Windows and it's size is not normally changed.

Here is a link to the wubi wiki, which explains how to convert to a normal install or use LVPM to accomplish this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

The Moving/Expanding section is about 4/5 of the way down the page.

fletcher08
September 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks drs305. You are helping me at the same time. I have downloaded LVPM, and am ready to use it as soon as I am sure it will be safe where I am moving it.

The partition sda5 on my machine has only the static data, and it is only the recycle bin. Do you think that is a safe place for me to move Ubuntu. I really want to get a good, full install so that I can work more quickly toward getting rid of Losedows and going full Linux. I just need to make sure I am comfortable with Linux (I already like it a lot better).

Bucky Ball
September 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
It can get terribly confusing when two issues are posted on the same thread. :)