PDA

View Full Version : Please check out my article on Linux

lightningfox
September 3rd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Hello

I wrote an article on Linux on my blog, about what Linux is and its features.

Please tell me what you think of it and are there any mistakes in it.

Here is the article: http://techzillax.blogspot.com/2009/09/review-on-linux.html

Gen2ly
September 3rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
Read, it nice overall view for new linux users.

madjr
September 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM
will do

Warren Watts
September 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
I agree. Nicely written, with a good basic explanation of explanation of what Linux is all about.

I did find one misspelled word in section 7:

A Linux computer can exist beisde computers running other operating systems on the same network.

MaxIBoy
September 3rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
You might want to point out that software written for one Linux distro will always run on another Linux distro, and introduce the concept of repositories (this is the one thing which most often causes headaches for people who first start out with Linux, they wind up trying to compile things which can easily be installed through the repos.)

Other than that (and the unflattering GNOME screenshot,) this is a very good article.

karthick87
September 3rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Ya really good,easy to understand for all..

madjr
September 3rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
only needs some pics (best if with a nice looking theme). 1 for gnome and 1 for kde4

linux has lots of games, specially casual (and probably addictive classics)
http://www.flamedesktop.com/?cat=115

except a lot less native "high end" gaming (but most people don't have the hardware anyway, most are stuck with integrated cheap 3d in laptops)

at this time might be actually be better to get a console than a high end 3d card

oh and let non logged users/anonymous leave their comments

hessiess
September 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Learn to write in a more structured format making better use of connectives, currently your article reads like a long list of points and dousen't flow very well. for example, rewriting the first few paragraphs:

Linux is a computer operating system, originally this name referred to the Kernel, the core or engine of an operating system that handles the low-level tasks like disk and peripheral management. With the user land of the operating system coming from the GNU project, the result being known as GNU/Linux. However over time the `GNU' was dropped, and the name became Linux.

The Kernel is combined with software from other sources including the GNU project, and a host of software developed by Open Source supports around the world. Examples of applications include BASH, a command shell, X11, a GUI server and Firefox, a highly popular web browser. This combination forms a complete and highly modular environment which can be easily moulded to preform different tasks.