PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you install a PC not on a network...

stbub
September 3rd, 2009, 02:25 AM
... I know you can download the CD, burn it, and install from it.

Only problem is I need countless packages that are NOT on the CD, and it doesn't make any sense to download the packages from packages.unbuntu.com one by one, and checking the dependencies manually.

I'm actually surprised there's no way to do bulk download without doing any installation... at least none that I have found so far.

I'd be ok downloading ALL the .deb for jaunty and put them on a USB drive (i.e. have my own repository). Question is: how do you duplicate the repository?

Any other suggestion more than appreciated.

briantoumbs
September 3rd, 2009, 03:50 AM
This might help you:
http://www.howtoforge.com/local_debian_ubuntu_mirror

I had a teacher that would download all the updates for Ubuntu and put it on his FTP server, then you could get really fast downloads on local computers on the network instead of going out and downloading them from internet.

oldsoundguy
September 3rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
stbub, and how are you on line now?

Just plug a cat 5 from the computer into your router or modem .. does not have to be networked.

I DO have a network, but I just plug direct into the router and do not bother to network the computer when I am doing an install. I WAIT and if the box is to be in the place for a while .. after it is loaded I will network it.

stbub
September 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
stbub, and how are you on line now?

Just plug a cat 5 from the computer into your router or modem .. does not have to be networked.

I think 250km is beyond the cat 5 specs :-)

oldsoundguy
September 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
you did not answer the question .. how are you on line right now? USE THAT CONNECTION.
If you are wireless .. get a cheap D-Link 520x PCI card and toss it into the box. It will load automatically.

stbub
September 3rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
you did not answer the question .. how are you on line right now? USE THAT CONNECTION.
If you are wireless .. get a cheap D-Link 520x PCI card and toss it into the box. It will load automatically.

As I said, originally, I want to install on a PC that isn't on the net. I hinted that that PC is 250km away from the internet connection I'm using right now.

I know how to connect PCs, and I understand that if I was willing to do 500km of roads - sometimes bumpy - with a PC that has 3TeraBytes of disk in it, then I'd have no problem.

However, I want to bring the software to the PC, rather than bring the PC to the software.

But thanks for your suggestion.