View Full Version : [kubuntu] wireless connected but internet not recognized

September 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Hi everyone, I'll warn you from the start I'm not exceptionally knowledgeable but I'll try and be as informative as I can to get help. Right now Knetwork Manger in Kubuntu 8.04 is showing that I'm connected to the wireless network in the apartment, but I can't access the internet. I can however connect with no problem in Windows so I don't believe I'm looking at a hardware issue.

I have a Gateway MT6828 laptop with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)network controller which should be supported from the list I found.

iwconfig gave the following:

iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"default" Nickname:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point:
Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Management: off
Link Quality=87/100 Signal level=-45 dBm Noise
level=-127 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed

From what I can tell, I am able to ping the IP address apparently assigned to the laptop, but I'm unable to ping a private ip (I tried the ubuntu forums as suggested in another thread). I get an "unreachable host" message.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help/ideas I can get.

September 3rd, 2009, 03:54 AM
Can you post the output from
netstat -rn.

September 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Here is the output from netstat -rn

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface U 0 0 0 wlan0 U 0 0 0 wlan0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0

September 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry if that last bit was jumbled as I had trouble formatting it all in the message. Also, I'm really hoping the assistance can keep coming. I'd love to use linux full-time, but being able to connect to wireless is essential for me.

September 3rd, 2009, 11:45 PM
If you can ping your default gateway as well, the the problem may be DNS. Are you getting an IP address by DHCP or setting a static IP. DHCP should supply a DNS server. You need to configure a DNS server if the IP is static. Your DNS server will probably be

September 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
It should be set up to be DHCP.

I will try to ping the gateway as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks for the help thus far!