PDA

View Full Version : What geeky/tech thing did you do today?

spupy
September 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
For all of you that have little or nothing to post in the "What Non tech Thing Did You Do Today?" thread. :)

For me:
Reading a book on real-time computing; tinkering with some code. The usual. :)

chriskin
September 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
nothing at all :)

bodyharvester
September 2nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
my media player (totem) was showing only the visualisation and audio instead of the video footage when i was trying to watch an anime earlier, so i spent almost 30 mins messing with media players and sound outputs and errors trying to get it to work. it did with GNOME Mplayer in the end :D i couldnt solve the errors i kept getting with others, i had to recompile it, so annoying.

is it a geeky thing to mess with sound output thingy-ma-jig of your system and re-compile media players to watch an anime?

dragos240
September 2nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Checking my uptime, memorize my IP, create a logo for my website.

chriskin
September 2nd, 2009, 10:51 PM

1. who doesn't do it?
2. who doesn't know it already?
3. 50% tech thing

baseface
September 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
rebuilt world on close to 130 freebsd machines.

red_Marvin
September 2nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Began rolling my own keyboard layout, came to the conclusion that I hate standard key placement (this diagonal pattern the keys are placed in - the angles are not mirrored correctly for left and right hands) so I started looking for loose keys to build my own keyboard, and found keyswitches on mouser, but tired when I couldn't find keycaps... :/
I want something more like the typematrix, but split and not with a layout that forces you to have the hands in the air all the time (ie another row of keys below the standard modifier-space-key row)

dragos240
September 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM
1. who doesn't do it?
3. 50% tech thing

1. Nobody I know personally does that besides me.

2. I don't know one person besides me who knows that.

3. True.

Tibuda
September 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
1. who doesn't do it?
3. 50% tech thing

1. me
2. me

spupy
September 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
nothing at all :)

Then post in the other thread. :twisted:

my media player (totem) was showing only the visualisation and audio instead of the video footage when i was trying to watch an anime earlier, so i spent almost 30 mins messing with media players and sound outputs and errors trying to get it to work. it did with GNOME Mplayer in the end :D i couldnt solve the errors i kept getting with others, i had to recompile it, so annoying.

is it a geeky thing to mess with sound output thingy-ma-jig of your system and re-compile media players to watch an anime?

That's the spirit. Your actions perfectly qualify for this thread! :D

RiceMonster
September 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Wrote my own OS in LOLCODE

PurposeOfReason
September 2nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Doesn't matter.
No-ip exists for a reason.
That's art.

Today I installed Windows7 again. It turns out my audio driver makes it so that programs launch but don't show. Good thing my keyboard has an audio port that is USB so I can use that for games until it is fixed.

rbishop
September 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Banged my head on my desk trying to figure out these postfix problems I am having.

Monitored one of our OC3's dropping connection all day and kicked the carrier's butt to get it fixed ASAP.

Working on teaching myself VMware.....Lots of playing around with it.

chriskin
September 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
1. Nobody I know personally does that besides me.

2. I don't know one person besides me who knows that.

3. True.

ok not for 2, but doesn't everyone know their uptime? i have a screenlet that tells me (along other things)

lovinglinux
September 3rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
I have spent hours porting bash code to javascript, to make one of my Firefox extensions OS independent. But I guess this is freaking boring, isn't it?

I think something really geeky would be chatting with someone on the International Space Station.

mamamia88
September 3rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
i took apart my old 360 harddrive and put it back together that was fun

rp3
September 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM
ok not for 2, but doesn't everyone know their uptime? i have a screenlet that tells me (along other things)

#2 I have a lcd4linux LCD that displays it.. ;) (among other things)

Read up on gaining root on my new Palm Pre phone :)...

hanzomon4
September 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Went to the Apple store to bask in it's coolness... Naw I rolled another rt kernel trying to fix a bug that prevents the nvidia driver from building, the bug presist...

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 04:39 AM
Reinstalled emtire os with FF and all the extensions and tailored it to my needs..all in total took about an hour.

cmay
September 3rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
I ate a hamburger. but i made it in a high tech microwave oven. :P

Tipped OuT
September 3rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
1. who doesn't do it?
3. 50% tech thing

1. Anyone with half a life.
2. Anyone with half a life.
3. Can't argue with that.

:lolflag:

days_of_ruin
September 3rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Wrote my own OS in LOLCODE

Lying isn't geeky. [-X

NightHawk877
September 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM
I tried to get my Atheros card working on my Compaq Presario CQ60-418DX.

blackened
September 3rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
Installed and configured Dokan on my fiancée's Windows machine so that she can mount network drives from our fileserver over SSH. Got pissed because it doesn't yet support key-based authentication.

Ate a high-tech veggie burger cooked in a conventional oven. Microwaves are only good for making scrambled eggs.

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
logged in to the following messageboard/forum:

www.ubuntuforums.org

blackened
September 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
logged in to the following messageboard/forum:

www.ubuntuforums.org

Nope, not geeky enough. To the back of the line with you.

gletob
September 3rd, 2009, 07:39 AM
Went to best buy, bought router, tried to put ddwrt on it 2 MB flash doesn't do all the features, take it back, try different one still 2MB on different model take it back, go to walmart, find one I like that is supposed to work go home DDWRT running.

Now set up as wireless bridge for my desktop, xbox, 360, and laptop. Also if internet goes down can pickup neighbour wifi and use for all computers.

stwschool
September 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
I had a damn good fsck after a hard drive went wobbly on one of my computers.

lovinglinux
September 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have formatted my Windows partition again, which I have created last week, just to play the new America's Army game version.

I'm installing Windows7 on a Virtualbox again, just for software development.

Megaptera
September 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
I set up Linux Mint & Crunchbang to triple boot with Vista Home Basic. Booted each a few times and no crashes yet!!! Updated and set my icons etc

lovinglinux
September 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
I set up Linux Mint & Crunchbang to triple boot with Vista Home Basic. Booted each a few times and no crashes yet!!! Updated and set my icons etc

Cool nick novaeangliae ;)

koshatnik
September 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
1. Created 15 of my own develop settings presets in Lightroom, specifically for a heavily backlit subject. I know, shoot me now.

2. Dismantled a spare 50mm Zuiko lens and cleaned some fungus off the front element, then spent 2 hours trying to put it all back together. Who invented tiny springs?

I'm glad I don't have to meet women in bars anymore, I'd never get laid.

cmay
September 3rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I spend all day in bed trying to learn how to hibernate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernate_(OS_feature)

jocheem67
September 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Tried to get dvdfab running with wine on an ubuntu install on laptop. No probs there. Tried to sort out what filters to use on a standard dvdrip in avidemux encoding to X264/AAC/mp4container...after that trying to find the best settings regarding cropping/resizing..
After that trying to use avidemux too on encoding dvd format subs into srt's...subrip with wine is a better performer there I found out...

The whole process is taking a good 24 hours btw.:D ( old parent's box )

hanzomon4
September 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
1. Created 15 of my own develop settings presets in lightroom, specifically for a heavily backlit subject. I know, shoot me now.

2. Dismantled a spare 50mm zuiko lens and cleaned some fungus off the front element, then spent 2 hours trying to put it all back together. Who invented tiny springs?

I'm glad i don't have to meet women in bars anymore, i'd never get laid.
Nice =D>

speedwell68
September 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
What geeky things did I do today. Experimented with PyBackPack as a backup manager, very happy with the way it worked. Then I finally found a use for Ubuntu One and shared a number of photos with many family members with it.

celticbhoy
September 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Installed Knoppix 5.0.1 on a V. V. old compaq presario and got the Belkin USB wireless dongle to work with it for my own benefit, then setup an AAO with XP for a friends step-daughter.

NightHawk877
September 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I got the wireless working on my Compaq Presario CQ60-418DX. It took me a week to find a good tutorial that was easy for me to understand.

The Real Dave
September 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Created my own custom Damn Small Linux Server Edition, which is now running like lightning on my old 451Mhz PIII

nothingspecial
September 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I wish I knew how to do geeky things.

...sigh...

Hosmion
September 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I found out how to create a popup using Javascript incorporated with HTML.

Make a few UBuntU Youtube videos about random things...

Mateo
September 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Returned OSX Snow Leopard to the Apple Store after finding out that virtualization of Snow Leopard isn't worked out yet (but Leopard is), and had to make up a story about my girlfriend having an old Macbook that it won't run on.

TheNosh
September 6th, 2009, 11:58 PM
geeky: yes
tech: no

i bought "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies".

RabbitWho
September 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Saved mankind after nearly causing global thermonuclear war and the near-extinction of humankind.

It doesn't sound very techy but it was, it just wasn't clear at any point exactly what I was doing or how.

Hosmion
September 7th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I just became a member of RuneScape :D

Woohoo!!

Anyone play RuneScape here?

If so, username?

rCXer
September 7th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Took apart my laptop, replaced it's monitor, and put it back together again.

peterthinking
September 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM
I did this.

Edit sources list, I used gedit cause vi is bitchy to me....

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

add this line...

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable non-free

save it

get the google public key....

wget https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub -O /tmp/key.pub

import the key so you can use it...

sudo apt-key add /tmp/key.pub

update the applications available...

sudo apt-get update

install picassa....

sudo apt-get install picasa

To get rid of Picassa...

sudo apt-get remove picasa

Of course right after I did all this I found a later version and double clicked on the .deb file.
It just installed itself!

DOH!

peterthinking

cmay
September 7th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I turned on the power of my Desktop running ubuntu and posted a comment in a linux forum before having my morning coffee. and it is still only 6.00 in the morning in my timezone ........