PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] uploading files to web server

philcamlin
September 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
hey guys,
i was wondering if i could have an option on how to upload files to a directory on my web page
is that possible??

please keep it as simple as possible cause im new to the web page developing :)

cybergalvez
September 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
hey guys,
i was wondering if i could have an option on how to upload files to a directory on my web page
is that possible??

lots to consider but mostly security. If this is strictly intranet then you've got nothing to worry about and there is a very simple javascript solution that will fit what you need nicely. If you want to do this over the internet then you are going to have to take authentication into consideration, and there are lots of solutions.

In any event take a look at uploadify (http://www.uploadify.com/) that will give you the basic tools you need to set it up. I used that recently with Turbogears to make the user authentication simple. They give you a nice PHP example on how to use the script. Good luck

koperry
September 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
I use filezilla to upload to both of my web servers, pretty straight forward and basic. You can find filezilla using the package manager.

philcamlin
September 3rd, 2009, 03:00 AM
I use filezilla to upload to both of my web servers, pretty straight forward and basic. You can find filezilla using the package manager.

thanks!!

gordintoronto
September 3rd, 2009, 03:10 AM
hey guys,
is that possible??

Where is your web page? If it is on a commercial shared hosting site such as Go Daddy, they will have a tutorial which gives you most of the information. Sadly, there is no standard for the exact location of your files. I've seen ftp.mysite.com and ftp://mysite.com, and others.

I use gFTP. Once you get connected to the site, you bookmark it, and you never have to type things in again.