PDA

View Full Version : History of the graphical user interface

ade234uk
February 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I just bumped in to History of the GUI and I think Ubuntu should be added to this page as it is the best Linux Distro around.

They have Windows Vista and OSX and Ubuntu is relevant for this period too

The do have X11 screenshot but a lot of things have moved on from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface

Please someone add a decent Ubuntu screenshot and text. I dont know what to write

mips
February 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I just bumped in to History of the GUI and I think Ubuntu should be added to this page as it is the best Linux Distro around.

Please someone add a decent Ubuntu screenshot and text. I dont know what to write

That is merely your opinion, others might disagree.

The underlying system is still X

Iandefor
February 4th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Please someone add a decent Ubuntu screenshot and text. I dont know what to write Ubuntu hasn't really made any innovative additions to the field of GUIs AFAIK.

briancurtin
February 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
^^bingo. ubuntu has no place on that page. i mean you could say "yeah ubuntu runs GNOME, KDE, etc" but the same could be said for every other distro too.

endersshadow
February 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Perhaps an updated X screenshot (i.e.-not using Window Maker, but w/ Gnome or KDE) would be in order, but Ubuntu is a distribution and has not done anything for the GUI. Windows and Macs have their own GUIs that just happen to be proprietary. X is OSS, so it is used all over the place. It's not about operating systems, it's about GUIs. Xgl may need a space there, but Ubuntu doesn't qualify.

bored2k
February 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM
That is merely your opinion, others might disagree.

The underlying system is still X
Agreed.

Ubuntu hasn't really made any innovative additions to the field of GUIs AFAIK.
Agreed.

^^bingo. ubuntu has no place on that page. i mean you could say "yeah ubuntu runs GNOME, KDE, etc" but the same could be said for every other distro too.
Agreed.

Perhaps an updated X screenshot (i.e.-not using Window Maker, but w/ Gnome or KDE) would be in order, but Ubuntu is a distribution and has not done anything for the GUI. Windows and Macs have their own GUIs that just happen to be proprietary. X is OSS, so it is used all over the place. It's not about operating systems, it's about GUIs. Xgl may need a space there, but Ubuntu doesn't qualify.
Agreed!