PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way for an ISP to guarantee connection speed?

MoebusNet
September 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
The advertisements and monthly plans always talk about (for example) 8mps plan. That's maximum download speed right? Average speed is is usually significantly slower. And there seem to be entire minutes with no data at all.

Does that mean you could advertise 1 Gbs download speeds if you delivered it once a year?

Are there any minimum connection speed requirements for broadband? I seem to remember that dial-up speeds are only guaranteed to 14.4kbs (fax speed).

koenn
September 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
you have to read the fine print. For entry level residential accounts, the advertised speed is usually the maximum available, not what you'll actually get. On Assymetric connections (like ADSL), they're talking about download ( or downstream, i.e. towards your computer)

ISP's can actually "guarantee" those speeds (sort of) - but you'll pay a lot extra. It's mostly used for business/professional stuff, and it's usually for symmetric lines (a server needs lots of bandwith outward, towards the clients).
What they 'll do is reduce the available bandwith for residential accounts, if need be, to be ensure the corporate accounts get their guaranteed minimum.

classic dial-up speeds are limited by the modem technology - different story alltogether. That never got better than 44k (maybe 56k), or 64k on ISDN lines.

Hogosha
September 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
i have an amazing isp. we have 6Mbs connection and that is the MINIMUM. it goes up from there...

MoebusNet
September 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
I was just thinking (I know, always dangerous) that an ISP is actually a utility company. A municipal water company is required to maintain a certain water pressure, flow rate and reserve available. A natural gas company is required to provide a stable, regulated gas pressure and btu content. An electric utility is required to maintain frequency, voltage and wattage availability. A cable television provider is required to make a certain number of channels available to residential households.

I was just wondering if our Internet Service Providers have any regulatory framework that provides quality-assurance for their customers.

Anyone know?

gn2
September 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Regarding regulating ISPs, much depends on where you live.
In the UK ISPs now require to give an indication of what speed will realistically be achievable and if they do not reach it you can be released from your contract without penalty.

koenn
September 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
that sort of regulations would vary by country, i suppose ...

hessiess
September 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
With current tecknology(ASDL) it is impossable to garentee a spasific bandwidth due to how it works, ADSL runs over outdated POTS lines and gets worse the firther you are from the switchboard. With optical fiber I beleave it is possable to garentee a spasific bandwith.

speedwell68
September 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Regarding regulating ISPs, much depends on where you live.
In the UK ISPs now require to give an indication of what speed will realistically be achievable and if they do not reach it you can be released from your contract without penalty.

I'm with Sky and they told me that my line would achieve 5 mb/s when I signed up with them. I am paying for up to 20 mb/s, since I have signed up them my line has got faster and I now get around 6.5 mb/s.

lukeiamyourfather
September 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
If you look at the terms most ISP say there's no guarantee that you'll get what they advertise given the nature of computer networks and you can't blame them. I've had good luck for the most part. Currently I have a 16 Mbps plan and regularly get as much as 35 Mbps during off peak times. Don't forget the server on the other end has to have sufficient bandwidth too, so slow speeds are not always the fault of the ISP. Cheers!