PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning DSL vs. Cable

banjobacon
September 2nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Since moving, I've been mooching internet access from my neighbors, but I've decided to stop leeching and get my own. I've only had experience with DSL before, but I am open to either DSL or cable. Cost is more of any issue for me; even though my previous DSL connection wasn't that fast, it was fast enough for most of my needs.

My question is about how these promotional prices and regular prices cable companies list really work out. I see a 3 Mbps service advertised for $20/month for one year, with a "regular" price of $53. I know that if I call to cancel once the year is up, I'll be offered some sort of discount in order to keep me from canceling. Would this offer fall closer to $20 or $53/month? What's your experience with negotiating cable internet rates?

I'm in the US, by the way. Specifically: New York.

lisati
September 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
I've not used a "cable" connection, but 3Mb/s isn't that fast by today's standards for ADSL. I regularly get double that speed.

Whiffle
September 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
I've been on cable for a while. My last one was $43/mo for 8 Mb. I moved, and the new service is $53 for the same. I would have considered DSL, but it was only marginally cheaper but the only thing available in my current area was 1.5 Mb, which is too slow for 2 people sharing, running a server, VPN and all that other jazz.

Haven't really had much luck negotiating lower rates, although in this area I don't really have any leverage. The service has been excellent though with cable.

mimor
September 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
It depends on your location.
Dsl tends to be chaper... but if you're too far from a 'telephone central' it can get verry verry slow.

tripolitan
September 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
For banjobacon:

I found cable to be more stable and consistent. 3Mbps line at $22/month is a good deal, even if you have to sign up for a 12 month contract.

My experience with DSL has not been very pleasant, too much interference with my telephone line, despite the filters.