PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu install - white screen with black lines

WesselPretorius
September 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hi, I just did a dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu Studio 8.04.

Vista still works fine, but Ubuntu shows the Ubuntu screen and then some funny colours and then white with thin black lines running over it.

This is my bosses pc because we want to totally switch from windows to Linux so I am quite in a hurry, PLease Help!

stlsaint
September 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
i get that sometimes when im loggin of my christian edition ubuntu but it always goes away...are you saying that you cant even boot into ubunut or you cant login? what are the lines preventing you from doing is what we need to know!

jerrrys
September 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
wouldn't you be better off with ubuntu 8.04 in a office environment?

stlsaint
September 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
wouldn't you be better off with ubuntu 8.04 in a office environment?

agreed...studio might not have been the best distro to go with in the office environment.

WesselPretorius
September 2nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
I do video editing, web designing, web maintenance photo editing, newsletter developing and so it goes on. I have a Ubuntu 8.10 DVD but it got scratched or something.

It works like this, I get tired of this stupid Vista so I decide it is time to switch over to this Linux I had here somewhere. I am so impressed with my installation on an old slow laptop I had stashed away, seeing that it is so fast with Ubuntu on it.
My boss says 'I want it now! I go on the net all the time and Vista let's me restart every 30min because it has some issue'.

So there is no time to get another destro, so I just install the one I have.

I kinda new to Linux. I have been working in production and broadcasting environments for a few years now with windows. XP was bearable but Vista is unbelievable (in a bad way). I can't believe it is even legal to sell something that doesn't work at all.

I'm not experienced in programming, but I’ll do whatever is necessary to do Linux, I'm so impressed with it.

WesselPretorius
September 2nd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Smyth gave me some info on this matter which I will try first thing tomorrow. If it works I will post it here and then mark it as solved.

WesselPretorius
September 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
What happens is: when the computer goes on it starts to boot Ubuntu showing the Ubuntu name with white running in it like it should.
Then it makes weird colors almost like noise when a tv doesn't have a signal.
Then it goes white with little black lines running over it.
It is obviously to do with my display driver so I'll check it out and post my findings here...

WesselPretorius
September 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I am trying to install using safe display settings but guess what... I only have the alternate install cd and it diesn't give me that option.

What now?

Can I maybe use my windows to install the driver to my ubuntu folders?