PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation being very slow

Denis57
September 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
hi. i am trying to install the newest ubuntu, called jaunty jackalope i think. it took over 20 minutes to get to the first screen to slect my language. and its been hanging there for about an hour now.
my computer is 1.5Ghz and 128Mb ram.
is this normal or is it my lack of ram?

stefangr1
September 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
hi. i am trying to install the newest ubuntu, called jaunty jackalope i think. it took over 20 minutes to get to the first screen to slect my language. and its been hanging there for about an hour now.
my computer is 1.5Ghz and 128Mb ram.
is this normal or is it my lack of ram?

Your computer does not have enough RAM, Ubuntu cannot functionally run on your system...

EDIT: I am not sure that more RAM will solve your problem, as the language menu should load normally regardless of RAM. I just checked that with 32MB of RAM in VMWARE, the menu appears within one second.

snowpine
September 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Ubuntu needs 256mb ram minimum (and more is better).
I would recommend either more ram (as much as your computer will take) or a different distro like Puppy Linux, which is designed specifically for older computers.

Good luck! :)

Denis57
September 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
i read in the ubuntu help page that the bare minimum ram needed is 64mb

as for puppy linux, after i install it, i get the grub error 2 messege which i cant solve

but i would want to have ubuntu more than puppy linux anyways :D so ill go buy more ram

EDIT and i have had dsl sucessful, i just like ubuntu more

jerrrys
September 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
the alternate install requires 64meg of ram, but

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

check this out

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Denis57
September 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
so i was looking online and noticed that the problem could of been i burned it at 32x when its supposed to be 4x. would that make it like it is now/

snowpine
September 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
so i was looking online and noticed that the problem could of been i burned it at 32x when its supposed to be 4x. would that make it like it is now/

No. The problem is definitely lack of ram. The Ubuntu Live CD won't run with only 128mb, period.

It is also a good idea to check the CD for errors (it is one of the options when you first boot with the CD) but that won't increase your ram.

Denis57
September 2nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
i checked the cd and there are no errors. so its definately the ram then