PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] kde + gnome for different users

ichundu
September 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
hi,
i'm running ubuntu 9.04 and i'm also going to install kde 4.3.1, but i have a few questions first. currently i have only one user account for gnome, but i'm planning to create another one for kde so i can set different preferences and customizations for applications i will use with both users like docks, emerald, compiz and any other common apps and for having different startup applications. so this is the only reason for having 2 users. other than that i want both users to have the same permissions over each others home folders (i.e. one having writing permissions over others folder and vice-versa). i want the same for applications permissions (i.e. one user can run and modify applications installed by the other user).

Is this as simple to achieve as just putting the new user in the same group with the current user? any help or suggestion about what i need to do would be much appreciated because i'm not so clear about how users and groups work and how they relate to applications.

PS: i would also like the default gnome applications not to show in the kde menu or the other way round (except for those i choose to and those that are not installed by default, but by the user). for example it wouldn't be appropriate to have file-roller archive manager, gedit text editor, gnome system monitor etc in the kde menu as long as there are the equivalent kde applications to do the same job.