PDA

View Full Version : What browser are you using, why?

Dangger
September 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering what browsers are people using. I'm using chromium with plugins enabled but it lacks certain add-ons so I often switch to firefox.

I have firefox 3 and 3.5 but I'm not sure if I like the way they "feel." Specially when scrolling, multiple tabs opened and flash applications. Also, I switch languages constantly and having to choose my two more used from 100+ spell checkers in FF is just a pain in the ***.

So, share your experience.

aeiah
September 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM
just firefox 3 with adblock, flashblock, and tiny menu

wojox
September 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Firefox 3.5 ABP

I've just always liked Firefox, don't know why.

Hreinsi
September 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Firefox 3.5 Laptop

Siretoko my desk

howefield
September 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
This sounds more like recurring discussions or community chat than absolutely beginner talk but anyway..

I use firefox mainly for 2 addons I particularly like, (one cosmetic and one functional) but having installed Opera and forced myself to use it for a reasonable period of time, I really like it apart from a couple of minor niggles.

You can, of course, install several browsers and use them as you wish, there is quite a decent choice these days.

epsolon77
September 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I use whatever the latest version of Firefox is, because of the great cross browsers support, that way I only need to know 2 browsers (I work in IT and must support IE). Not that I didn't say I use IE, just support it. I would tell my users that this falls under the category of watch what your mechanic drives. If you drive a GM, and your mechanic drives a Honda..think about that. Of course if you drive a Honda and he drives a Aston Martin, call the IRS.

Dangger
September 2nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
This sounds more like recurring discussions or community chat than absolutely beginner talk but anyway..

I guess I'm trying to see what people have, I've been on ubuntu for like a month now and I don't know anyone in person that uses it. So I don't really have anything to compare against.

megamania
September 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
I use Firefox because it comes pre-installed and don't feel the need to change.

Out of curiosity, I tried Chrome and I must say I really like it, although it still has a long development process ahead.

fela
September 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Firefox on Linux. Chrome on Windows.

But I might aswell say firefox as I'm on Linux 99% of the time.

I'm also experimenting with epiphany-webkit and other webkit browsers, even chrome on Linux aswell. I might try chromium, haven't seen it for a while.

sdlynx
September 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm using ie cuz school is stupidddd!

lol

marcelluspye
September 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Firefox on Linux. Chrome on Windows.

But I might aswell say firefox as I'm on Linux 99% of the time.

I'm also experimenting with epiphany-webkit and other webkit browsers, even chrome on Linux aswell. I might try chromium, haven't seen it for a while.
Chew dat.

asmoore82
September 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Shiretoko(Firefox) 3.5.2 with NoScript, DownloadHelper, SpeedDial, PhoenityReborn Theme

Why? "Show my windows and tabs from last time"
It's like "Hibernate" for your browser :biggrin:

and my Firefox never, ever, ever crashes.

mystmaiden
September 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
I'm still plodding along on firefox but I don't like it because on this computer its slower than the seven year itch, I do like some of the addons though, I keep meaning to switch over to seamonkey which I like a lot. I have ephiphany, it's okay but not what I was looking for.

MarcusW
September 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Chromium. :) Sometimes Firefox, because of some features Chromium doesn't have (yet).

McNils
September 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
konqueror :popcorn:

Tibuda
September 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I have been using Epiphany as my main browser for some time, but I could not get it to work in karmic, so now I'm using Firefox again. I have to say this new 3.5 version got a really improved performance, compared to 3.0. I'll stick to it for some time.

Viva
September 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Firefox, because I'm a firefox fanboi.

MoebusNet
September 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
trying out opera 10. so far, so good.

Regenweald
September 2nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Chromium exclusively. Only browser on my system.

AndyCooll
September 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Firefox.

It works the way I want it, and has the add-ons I want. And because there are Linux, Windows (at work) and Portable App versions I can use it wherever and whenever.

I like Epiphany but it's missing a few functions and I don't like the way it handles bookmarks. And Chromium sounds interesting. I liked Opera when I looked at it too.

However all-in-all I'm comfortable using Firefox and for the moment have no great desire to change.

:cool:

C!oud
September 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Uzbl

MikeTheC
September 3rd, 2009, 03:46 AM
Firefox, because it runs, is stable, enjoys broad community support, and is cross-platform.

Mulenmar
September 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
Which: Swiftfox, atm
Why: Because I haven't had a chance to install Swiftweasel, which actually releases source code.:-\"

I actually prefer Icecat, but I haven't had a chance to compile that for Pentium 3 yet...

PS: Anyone hear tried Arora?:D

RiceMonster
September 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Konqueror. Not as good as Firefox, but it integrates better with KDE.

Little Bit
September 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
I used Firefox (Shiretoko) in Vista already because I like the extensions and everything, so I just use it Ubuntu and it runs better now than it did in Vista!

Amy

purgatori
September 5th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Uzbl.... or well, Opera at the moment, because Uzbl crashes at startup :(

HappinessNow
September 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I use the following browsers:

Firefox
Opera
Google Chrome/Chromium
Iron
Flock

docus
September 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Firefox was unstable for me so I switched to Opera - Opera was faster but it also crashed a lot.

Now I'm using EPIPHANY and it is really fantastic - fast, stable, simple, clean. I recommend it.

Artificial Intelligence
September 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Opera 10 :KS