PDA

View Full Version : Computer name?

Paool
February 4th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for a new names for my computers ;) Actually it's 'daisy' and 'hive'...

any ideas?

what name your computers has? :mrgreen:

sorry for my english ;p

kgee
February 4th, 2006, 05:34 PM
letsee... computer names I have had:

Chaos
Enigma
BOB (box of bolts)
Frankenstein (the first computer i built from scratch...)

among a few others.

purpleturtle
February 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM
If you have a few, you could choose a theme.. Where I used to work they had the theme of birds, and the size of the bird would indicate how powerful the machine was, e.g. Albatross was much more powerful machine than Budgie..

For my personal machines, I have used the theme of Indian food, and the strength of the food corresponds to how powerful the machine is.. Therefore my main machine is called "Chilli" and my old spare machine is called "Bhoona".. And my PDA is called "Bhaaji" :)

Other themes I have seen is beers, cars...

mstlyevil
February 4th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Since I do a lot of cursing during a install I named mine fooker.

raublekick
February 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I use the names of characters from the Mario Bros. universe. At my old job they used Superman characters.

gila_monster
February 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
At home, my machines have the unrelated names of coop and serenity (go Browncoats!).

A theme might be fun. At work, we named our Unix stations on themes. The HP stations were named after cartoon characters. When we ran out of those, we went with actors. The Sun stations were all named after fruits.

One theme I suggested that was never used was names of Moorcock's Eternal Champion. Should be able to get 20 or 25 names from that if you are familiar with his work.

gm

Breaks
February 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I normally name mine either heap (for heap of sh*t), or ubrig for ubuntu rig / machine..

eriqk
February 4th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Well, to stay with my sci-fi computer names, I decided to call my laptop Dr. Theopolis. Not because it's from the 25th century, or very smart, but because it's very future-retro (or retro-future?) and mobile. But I'm not going to hang it around my neck going "bidibidibi", oh no.

Groet, Erik

Stormy Eyes
February 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
One theme I suggested that was never used was names of Moorcock's Eternal Champion. Should be able to get 20 or 25 names from that if you are familiar with his work.

If you're not, I can give you a bunch from Moorcock:

elric
corum
erekose
jhary
jermays
arioch
xiombarg
mabelode
donblas
gaynor
cymoril
yishana
myshella
flana
hawkmoon
bowgentle
morphail
bastable
klosterheim
oona

Stormy Eyes
February 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I had a machine called ****UP once (from the Illuminatus! trilogy). The machines in my house now are called astarte, ashtoreth, and imaginos.

TTT_travis
February 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
for my server I use Snoopy for my mac I use Mac

mips
February 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Desktop=Obelix & Laptop=Asterix

briancurtin
February 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM
currently mine is the name of my linux web server at work over the summer, which was assigned by the company to be what looks like a random string of letters and numbers, but i know their significance

i almost see that as "geekier" than everything else in this thread

Iandefor
February 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I agree with the theme idea. All my computers are named after mythical creatures. My current computer is Leviathan, my old one is Brownie, etc.

Biblical names, maybe?

Oh, and your English is fine :)

Paool
February 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Oh, and your English is fine :)

The theme idea is nice, but I must to invent any theme. hmm... :rolleyes:

xequence
February 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I dont name my computers. Why do you all name yours? o.O

It sounds a little obsessive.

eriqk
February 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM

It's actually very useful in a networking environment.

Groet, Erik

Stormy Eyes
February 4th, 2006, 10:28 PM

It's easier to remember a machine's name than its IP address when you're on a network with more than a couple of machines. If I had to remember the IP of every machine in my office (there's 20 of them), I'd be frigging useless, especially since it's a DHCP shop.

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 12:05 AM
It's easier to remember a machine's name than its IP address when you're on a network with more than a couple of machines. If I had to remember the IP of every machine in my office (there's 20 of them), I'd be frigging useless, especially since it's a DHCP shop.

Good point... Never thought of that =P

chimera
February 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM
homepc

boring init?:mrgreen: ne3ed to think of something geekier

matthew
February 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I've used a couple of schemes. The first was simple, use the name of the person who usually uses the computer or just "mine, hers, kids." At the moment I like to use guitars so there's:

Telecaster, my old standby that does everything pretty well
Flying-V, which is a bit "futuristic-looking" and runs my testing stuff (and Dapper)
ES335, which makes me feel blue every time I use it
LesPaul, which can do lots of things from shred to jazz (ever see the man play!)

anyway, you get the idea

I've seen people use types of cheese (swiss, brie, cheddar, etc), guns (remington, winchester, ruger), apples (macintosh, grannysmith, gala). You can pick any theme you enjoy and have fun

natalia
February 5th, 2006, 12:39 AM
for my server I use Snoopy for my mac I use Mac

My home network is called Peanuts. One of my computers is Woodstock and the other is Snoopy.

:KS

I also like the idea in the Astrophysics group at my university: Crux, Orion, etc.

AndyCooll
February 5th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Yeah, give mine a theme. Currently named after birds ...of the prey kind. Better further qualify that ... of feathered bird of prey kind ;)

Quite like the idea of the cartoon characters, might try that.

Mind you, my server is simply called ...server :(

:cool:

super
February 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM
funny you should ask. i just renamed my boxes. i now have:

s-p-a-r-t-a-n
my my computer in my room.
meh, i just liked the name.

my computer downstairs.
i always call my character this when i play fps games. (eg: player 1 was killed by default)

slazh
February 5th, 2006, 01:10 AM
My own desktop: Zion (home)
Current P2 server: Osiris (since it will be the last thing it will ever do aka, final flight)
New P2 server: Oracle (everybody comes to the oracle!)

My dad's computer i don't know right now, but my sisters laptop is called Trinity.
My own laptop is named Nimrod (Surface TV show) and is the only computer not named after something from The Matrix :cool:

Friends of mine use names from the Dune stories / movies or Futurama :)

bjweeks
February 5th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Windows gameing box: bart
Linux box: lisa
mythtv box: homer

transactionlogfiller
February 5th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Mine are called purgatory and limbo.

bbmw
February 5th, 2006, 01:27 AM
I don't have any suggestions because the names I have used were unimagintive as he** but from reading this thread I'd say most people use names from whatever their interests are

there IS no excuse for my english since it is my first (and only) language

benplaut
February 5th, 2006, 02:17 AM
my laptop (main machine) is called Cooky. The family desktop is bruddle, and my new desktop will be named quidle

BWF89
February 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM
We called our origional and new computer "The Infernal Machine".

TechSonic
February 5th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Windows XP comp in the basement "Dust Collection Plate"
Windows 2000 comp in the next room "Frozen Screen"
Ubuntu Linux comp in my bedroom "TechSonic"
Ubuntu Linux comp in the attic "Server Machine"

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 03:49 AM

The theme idea is nice, but I must to invent any theme. hmm... :rolleyes:
No problem :).

What do you mean by "I must to invent any theme."? I don't think you're using "invent" correctly.

beercz
February 5th, 2006, 04:00 AM
ianpc

Boring huh?

zenwhen
February 5th, 2006, 04:07 AM
My main system is always named sunball and my laptop is always named portball.

Jedeye
February 5th, 2006, 04:24 AM
I use the Phonetic Alphabet... Alpha, Bravo, Charlie etc... here is a link to the full alphabet if you want more http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/MAEL/ag/phonetic.htm

Paool
February 5th, 2006, 10:46 AM
What do you mean by "I must to invent any theme."? I don't think you're using "invent" correctly.
hmm... I mean think a name up :)

NoFearDJB
March 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Desktop - Squirrel
Laptop - Nutz
I like squirrels! :D

K.Mandla
March 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I call mine cc99p01, wmrb9, cs0xx11 ... the serial numbers off the bottom. I can be pretty boring that way. :rolleyes:

LookTJ
March 4th, 2007, 11:07 PM
mine is whatever the install cd has by default, I don't care about names.

-Taylor

RandomJoe
March 4th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I started using names at home when my collection grew big enough that I decided DHCP and DNS was worthwhile! I started out with names from Blade Runner (having just watched it at the time) but now I'm mostly using names of witches from favorite shows:

Robin - Witch Hunter Robin - my shiny new, powerful C2D desktop
Piper - Charmed - was my long-time main machine (a laptop) until Robin
Kiki - Kiki's Delivery Service - my Mac Mini
Tonks - Harry Potter - the "testbed" machine that gets "morphed" every other time I touch it
Ginny - Harry Potter - my second laptop
Zepheris - Scrapped Princess - (okay, not really a witch, a "dragoon") the third laptop

Leftovers from before the latest "trend":
Rachael - Blade Runner - was originally my desktop back when, now the media machine
Christine - Phantom of the Opera - my server
Nexus - ??? - the firewall/router - the only boring yet descriptive name...

And no, I'm not married! :lolflag:

DrOlaf
March 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM
My home machines are named after the different streets I have lived on. Fortunately, I have moved around a lot and haven't run out of names yet.

My work ones are named after composers. Right now, I'm on a renaissance polyphony kick, so they're called Tallis, Lassus & Palestrina. Pretentious, moi?

Mrs Twaddle
March 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Our two p.c's are called Finbar and Eric. No idea why.

fuscia
March 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM
fuscianator

r4ik
March 4th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Hatsjee

Dutch slang "lets go "

Pikestaff
March 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM
My laptop is Osaka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayumu_Kasuga) and my desktop is Pintsize (http://questionablecontent.net/cast.php). Both run pure Kubuntu 6.06 ^^